Dealing with framerate drops, menu bugs, and freezes in UE5.

I have a reasonably robust machine (32GB of Ram and NVidia 3070 and 4070 cards) and I was getting seemingly random freezes in the Editor in UE5. Here are a few things I discovered along the way that may help you get better performance or prevent some lock ups.

1. I run 3 monitors, all of them QHD. 2x27in Dell Monitors and a 27in Wacom Cintiq. I was having a lot of issues with freezes when resizing windows in the editor and it was happening hourly. Sometimes when I was away from my machine. This solved it for me:

Unreal Engine is exiting due to D3D device being lost. :: GROUND BRANCH Technical Support (steamcommunity.com)

And the official docs:

How to Fix a GPU Driver Crash When Using Unreal Engine | Unreal Engine 5.0 Documentation

1. Once I solved the freezing from the Editor causing a GPU timeout, I was still getting framerate drops. Even with just one preview window open in the Editor. Disabling the UDP Messaging Plugin seems to have fixed that.

Frequent freezes/fps drop in Unreal Engine 5 - Development / Getting Started & Setup - Epic Developer Community Forums

1. I also turned off some windows settings and it seems to have helped as well. I had issues where after a while my submenus would go black. There are several ways to deal with this and people have had mixed levels of success.
  1. I turned off Real Time thumbnails in the Content Browser settings.

2. I also disabled TCP and UDP Messaging which seems to cause all sorts of issues for people.

Anyone else have any tips for dealing with framerate or stability in the UE5 Editor?

1 Like