What is the maximum frame rate that a sequence can rendered out

I currently create animations that I render out at 30, 100, 1,000, and occasionally 10,000 frames per second. Is that possible with Unreal Engine? If not, what is the maximum FPS that we can render with Unreal Engine?

There is no maximum. The engine can handle whatever you give it provided you have the hardware to support it. A game engine is real-time which means that your frame rate isn’t a constant like in film or pre-rendered animations. That said, optimally you want to have the fewest number of keyframes as possible to complete your motions as animation is rather expensive compared to everything else you can render. For example, an idle animation with 100 keys is much better than an idle with 5000. When I animate, I typically assume 30 fps, but you can adjust the play rate of any animation inside the editor to get the desired duration, so really the fewer the frames the better. A typical walk cycle for example is just two steps. There’s no need to do more than that, unless you’re trying to get in a lot of extra detail (like maybe the character has a subtle limp every few steps) but even then, you can layer animations to achieve this without the overhead of a large sequence.

Hope that helps!

2 Likes

Thanks for the response! That helps some but I should have explained the situation better. My characters are missile and targets and I’m inputting telemetry data at up to 10,000 frames per second at the endgame. Each is a keyframe. We’ve been using Ligthwave for over 20 years but the software isn’t being updates and we want to transition to something that can render fast. Something that can render using GPUs. We put the rendered frames in Adobe software and create a video to explain what happened. Is Unreal Engine the way to go or do you have any other suggestions?

Oh… I have no idea then. this falls way outside my area of expertise. I would imagine with that many frames, you’d be better off with a program like Blender that doesn’t render in real-time. Granted, if you’re only planning to render out the final product as a video, and not real-time you could probably do it with Unreal. Do you have an old file from a past project that you could drop into Unreal and see how it handles the data? I doubt anyone on the forums has worked with animation assets that large. Also, keep in mind, if you’re rendering out a video, Unreal isn’t going to use your GPU for that. It renders out video rather slowly actually.

Great! Thanks! I assumed since it does real time rendering, it would also render out our videos pretty fast and use GPUs. Now I know to stick to animation programs with GPU rendering capability and not those designed for game development.

1 Like

is it possible for deltatime to go so low that it becomes 0? (float precision)