What is the dynamic range in unreal

Hi,
The rendering pipeline in unreal goes like this. Render in HDR → Eye Adaption → Tone mapping → Color Grading → Final LDR image. I was just wondering what is the dynamic range of the HDR rendering in the first step. For eg: real world dynamic range is 100 000: 1, our eyes dynamic range is 10 000: 1. Some ratio like that which you can give me?
I want the highest luminance to lowest luminance ratio.

Best,

Hello ,

We actually have a helpful visualizer called the Histogram to show the available dynamic range when working with Eye Adaptation.

Histogram

You can find this information in our documentation in line with the Eye Adaptation on Post processing.

Let me know if you have any questions or you need further assistance.

Cheers,

I tried getting the histogram, but somehow doesn’t work. I tried ShowFlag.VisualizeHDR and also Show → Visualize → HDR. Moreover, the histogram would give the luminance value of just the current scene. But I want to know what is the maximum value I can represent is. I read somewhere that HDR rendering uses 16 bits per color channel. So that should mean a dynamic range of around 65000:1. Is that right?

I am not getting the results you are reporting as far as getting the visualizer to show. Be sure to use ‘ShowFlag.VisualizeHDR 1’ as value is binary meaning 1 is on and 0 is off.

I was also able to use the visualizer using both options. Anyway, to answer your question simply, yes 65000:1 is the correct ratio. You can see this by the sliding the Histogram Log Min and Max to their further allowed values.

HDR Histogram

Let me know if you have further questions.

Thanks,