What is the best way to setup my Material for a blood Particle system?

Been making a blood material to use in a Cascade. made some decent progress so far by making a nice blood splurt. but i was wanting to refine my material more. Its translucent, unlit and has an opacity map at this stage. I was looking to make the blood a lot more liquidish and crimson like with some highlights. i thought of adding some panning normal maps and specular values carry across to cascade ? whats the best way of carrying these things over and would i be wanting to keep my material translucent?

Hey Twibbz -

Ultimately a lot of this depends entirely on your circumstances and what you want the effect of your blood to be and how you want to use it. I would suggest adding a Dynamic Parameter controlled intensity cubemap with a RG component Mask reflection vector in the UVs to your Particle Color which will give you some nice reflections in your blood which should function as your specular. Now if you wanted your blood to have a normal so a splatter like effect your could change your material back to default lit and then plug in a normal there. Remember to that unless your blood is supposed to be moving the specular elements would be static in nature.

Hope this gets you started and let me know if I can explain further -

Ketchum

Much appreciated for the reply , your awesome :slight_smile:
Is this all in one thing going into the UV’s? The particle colour node (input node) itself doesnt have a UV output, so do you mean the texture I’m multiplying it by? a little confused haha, some of these nodes I’ve never used before, so its a little difficult for me to visualise how they link together

Here’s my failed attempt of interpretation
what am i doing wrong, pluggin that stuff into the UV’s completely changed the original texture.
Am i way out? XD

Hey Twibbz -

Here is the Material for the blood material:

I have a video showing the finished effect [here][2].

Thank You

Ketchum

Hi nice material setup, some of that defo helped.
Creating that dynamic param, didnt show up the paramater names inside cascade (Paramamters>Dynamic) so im not sure if thats working.
but I’d like to show you what im currently working on right now and see if you have any pointers for us.

So the teams pretty happy with what we’ve got so far, it looks pretty decent. However we’re trying to make it look a little more liquidish and not look as though its coming out in chunks near the end. I think we’ve definitely got a decent start on this. We really want to try get that crimson reflective jammy look.
This is something similar for what we’re going for.

Needs more Jam…
Thoughts? Love how consistent and solid you guys are btw. Your really trying to help out your audience and fellow developers. Nice Job to you and the team :slight_smile:

Cheers, let me know what you think :slight_smile:

Hey Twibbz -

Looking really nice. The Dynamic Parameter you just need to right click on node and refresh then your parameter names should appear. For the chunkiness at the end of your particle’s life, you may want to create a flipbook texture which has a blood particle stretch and pull apart over time this would allow you to give the particles some individual life and allow them to shrink like they would in a real explosive blood spray like in your example. Adding some Int Rotation and a small int Rotation rate would allow each blood particle to be the same and also be repeated without much notice.

You also have those 2 empty Dynamic Parameters and you could do a fast panning normal that, using the Dynamic Parameter have the panning slow and stop over the particle’s life. This would give you more of the Jam look but won’t help with the chunkiness.

Thank You

Ketchum

Thanks for the support much oblige :slight_smile: