What is Particle Collision "Collision Type"

Hello, so I have a Cascade Particle system, and I am using the Actor Collision module. I really would like to set the collision object type of the particles, but I can’t figure out how. I have noticed the is the “Collision Types” parameter, but it doesn’t seem to achieve this goal (at least with custom collision types). So can someone please explain what exactly the “Collision Types” property does? And, if you know, could you give me any tips as to how I could make particles work with their own collision object type? (I’ve already made the custom object type, I just can’t get it to work with particles)

336934-particlecollisiontype.png

This option filters what type of actors the particles actually interact with. WorldStatic, the default option, will cause particles to collide with static meshes, heightmaps, etc. Changing this will have the same effect on the object type you choose from the list. What exactly is the problem you are facing? Are particles going through the surface you are choosing?

In my experience testing VFXs with collisions from the UE4 editor window sometimes doesn’t work (collisions are ignored), so you might want to check how the system performs after launching the game. Make sure you also have correctly set the collision completion option. If it’s set to ‘kill’ the particles will just disappear on contact (which doesn’t look too different from clipping through geometry) unless you add more ‘Max collisions’ so these bounce at least one time (if you want bounces make sure the damping is set with a number high enough for there to be an actual bounce or two or more collisions can register in just a couple of frames). You can also set the collision completion option to ‘Freeze movement’, which will cause them to freeze after reaching the max collision setting. That way you can easily tell if collisions are working. Finally, also ensure that ‘max collision distance’ is a number big enough so that collisions aren’t being ignored because they are occurring too far from the camera. The default value of 2000 is pretty short (we changed it to 20000).

Ok, thanks for the explanation, I get it now. I thought the “Object Types” somehow set the collision object type of the particles, but now I see that it sets the collision object types that particles can collide with.

Thanks again!