What files can be cleaned after compiling the UE 5.8.2 engine source code?

After building UE 5.8.2, it consumed a huge amount of my disk space. I followed suggestions from an AI to clean up some files, which resulted in unfixable engine launch errors. I ended up having to re‑download the source code and rebuild the engine. Now I’d like to ask everyone: how do you clean up redundant and unnecessary files after engine compilation? What exactly is safe to delete? Thanks for your help!:grinning_face:

dont let an AI tell you to nuke Intermediate/Binaries from the engine build, those are needed at launch.

safe to trim after a source build: Engine/Binaries/DotNET leftovers, Engine/DerivedDataCache, Engine/Intermediate/Build if you dont plan to rebuild soon but keep Intermediate/ProjectFiles if you still compile from IDE. also clear your project DerivedDataCache, not the engine one, if you want space back.

unsafe: deleting Engine/Binaries/Win64 dlls, Engine/Plugins intermediates, or Engine/Source after build. if disk pressure is high just archive the whole engine folder to an external drive before deleting anything, rebuilding 5.8 from scratch takes hours.