What does the different colors of the debug navmesh mean?

Recently the blue started showing up in our project.
Looking at this I now see Green, Blue, Yellow, Orange and Pink.
There is also Red, not shown on picture.
I can find no documentation on this.

We’re getting someone to take a look, @soulwizard7.

1 Like

Any development on this?

Any development on this?

I’ll check, sorry for the delay!

Might be worth noting that we have found some fortnite default assets dont work too well with the navmesh either. Some floor tiles do not generate a navmesh at all, and today we came across some doors that do not let AI pass through. Navmesh under the door show up as pink if a “broken” asset, and a purple color if it works as intended (AI can open doors / pass through).

Hello souldwizard7,

Here is a quick answer about what the color means:

Each color represents a type of navmesh data

• Green, Light Blue = Navigatable, where the AIs can navigate normally.
  • Gray, Yellow, Brown, Purple = Obstacles, where the AIs would destroy to get through if they can, or they will walk around if the environment damage is damaged.
  • Silver, Lighter Grey-Blue = Water, only used for Guard and Wildlife, Creature would be instantly eliminated when falling into water so they won’t pathfind to the area
  • Dark Purple, Black = Unreachable, unwalkable areas for the AIs so they consider the area as unreachable places

It is still a bit difficult to explain all the details on this and we are working with the documentation team to make sure we have more info written for the Creators.

Regarding the issue about the navmesh is not working on certain Fortnite props, we have a few bugs on track to make a cleanup pass on it, so stay tuned for the update or you can use some collision box or gray box mesh to make it build properly as a temporary workaround.

2 Likes

Hey @QH_DreamMaker!

Following up on this thread. Are there any news regarding floors, walls and doors breaking Creatures’ navigation mesh?

I’m working on a very simple indoor layout, for which I’ve used in-game props such as the military walls, military floor tiles, etc. However, as soon as I spawn enemies, their AI start going bananas: they pass through walls, teleport across rooms, etc. I’ve tried debugging this with Debug > Navigation Mesh and I had noticed that it was all messed up.

As of 28.1, the Debug drawing of the navmesh is not working, so I can’t even do that anymore :cry:

Hello Edoardo, we’ve noticed that the navmesh debug is sometimes not working as expected after 28.10 update, while the engineering team is looking into the cause and fix for it.

For the issue you’ve hitting on the walls or floor tiles, it is likely that the navmesh generation is somehow not properly configurated properly. Could you send us the prop names you are using so we can take a further look at it? Thanks!

Thanks for reaching back to me. Good to hear you guys are working on the navmesh debug thing. It was really driving me crazy haha :sweat_smile:

As for the broken navigation mesh, I was using MilitaryBase_SolidWall_01a for the walls and for the floor MilitaryBase_Floor_Base_C. Moreover, I’ve noticed that building a simple 4-walls room where the walls are MilitaryBase_SolidWall_Diagonal_C is enough to make the navmesh inside it go crazy.

Hello Edoardo, the engineers have addressed where the problem was coming from and helped to make a fix in the upcoming release, sorry for the convenience it brings.

As a workaround in the current version, you can try to change the debug options while running Live Edit session instead of changing it from the Actor Details panel to see if this helps.

Also thanks a lot on reporting the impacted assets for navigation issue, we are working on a further investigation on the problematic assets and would make sure a fix is coming in future build, thanks again for the patience!

Here’s the up-to-date documentation