What does "NVIDIA RTX and DXR driver-enabled GTX series graphics cards" mean?

So I wanted to ask a question, but the stupid forum insisted I pick a “version” tag, which it wouldn’t let me do, so I’m starting a discussion instead.

Anyway, I wanted to try out the Path Tracer and followed the instructions under “Enabling the Path Tracer in Your Project” in the docs.

After following all the steps, I don’t have a “Path Tracing” option in the View Mode dropdown menu in the view port. So the only thing I can assume is that my GTX 1070 does not qualify.

What exactly does “NVIDIA RTX and DXR driver-enabled GTX series graphics cards” mean? The way it’s worded, it sounds like you need an RTX card AND a DRX driver-enabled GTX card??? So I’m a bit confused. Do you need an RTX card or is a GTX card enough as I understand NVIDIA made raytracing available to the GTX cards… or is path tracing something different to ray tracing?

Technically it should support the GTX 1070 but the speed will be very low so it’s not going to be worth it.

Yeah I figured it would be slow, but I was just curious to give it a go and see.

I notice the settings appear to be a bit different from the documentation, but I assume it is just terminology changes in UE5. I assume I have my settings right. Do these look right?

I then restarted, however my view mode drop down menu still looks like this.

menu

1 Like

up

I have exactly the same problem. I have the same settings and a 1070 TI GPU. Did you find a solution for this?

As of UE5 emulated raytracing (10-series cards) is no longer supported for raytracing features. You need an RTX card.

There was an old thread from Early Access which had some solutions to working around this but I’m not sure that any of them still work: Solved : Cant Enable RayTracing in UE5 (gtx 1060)(Nvidia Pascal)