What content would you like to see on the learning portal?

<feverishly making notes>

:slight_smile:

Well, I know I haven’t seen much of it recently, but, it would be cool to see more about Paper2D. Also, the people who say “Unreal is too powerful for sprite games”, I just think if someone is willing to use an engine it shouldn’t matter if it’s too powerful.

My other reason for wanting to use Unreal for sprite based games is that I’d like to use the same engine for all of my game development, to make it easier to upgrade, reuse code from other sprite based games to possibly convert to 3D. Also, learning only one game engine and one code language would make everything easier.

Hey, Kyle. You are definitely not alone wanting Unreal Online Learning content around Paper2D. Please stay tuned. Thanks for learning with us!

Advanced rendering and shader editing techniques. Especially as Raytracing features improve!

Learning is the best way to introduce the beginner to using UE4 and create their games, but it is very limited nowadays. The classes you have are simple and almost always do not help in the real scenario.

For example, there is only one course on Locomotion and anyone for advanced locomotion. Why? This is too basic and there is not in any UE4 learning. You all need to understand that have a great portal of all types of classes is what makes the tool accessible and powerful.

For example, a UI course should not be limited to one common example, but several cool examples. Don’t have a team to develop these videos? It’s Simple! just ask for contributors, persons that want to contribute and pass the rules that there will certainly be hundreds of very talented people to help. It is Serious, if UE4 thinks its Learning is good, they are sadly mistaken and what bothers me most is that it is very simple to make it truly and effectively perfect. From the moment that someone has to be hunting on Youtube for a tutorial to learn something that the engine does, it shows the lack of content in Learning. Please take this into account. If you need my help to build a perfect portal I will do it for free. It is time for UE4 to really take seriously what a learning portal is.

Think in pratical projects. When we have this lack of content in pratical and Online learning content this just dificult the spreading of UE4 as absolute Engine of games.

Two things are needed: Practical and varied examples. In practice there is only one practical and extremely limited example.

The examples are too basic.

Important: You have a lot of persons that will love to contribute with this knowlege map with projects and video tutorials. Use them. Just make a review and give some rules for that.

I’m studing UE4 for 3 years, with blueprints and C++. Almost learned from payed courses and youtube. For the power of UE4 this just doesnt make any sense. If you have a OnLine Learning that trully teach, UE4 in a little time will be unbeatable.

Many who are on Unity are only there for this problem, and the UE4 Engine is much more powerful and better. Everything is about how the tool is concerned with training and teaching.

2 Likes

@shark3ds exactly my thoughts, and the same conclusion unfortunately.

How to use root motion data to control movement component behaviour

An in depth look about how collision works in unreal and how traces work and especially what affects their cost (for example how is the cost affected by the number of actors in the level and how much of an impact have actors that are way out of the trace distance, e. g. on the other side of the level).

Something to learn scripting in blueprints:
Cards, memory game, et… (it was there, Epic just dont support it after releasing new version of engine).

Something for designers:
Project with level in different stage (greybox -> final level). Blueprints communications beetween level, blueprints and assets.

Blueprints communications bettween paw, anim tree, controller and another blueprints:
I think there was some guy with rope like mobile example. Again… no support…

sprite example… againt, its gone.

Something for learning overal structure:
Gameinfo, gamestate, player controller (pawn vs menu), etc…

Looks like much, but it isnt. Something like “Example content” in term of game example wold be great (one or two projects - one level simple, another folder content more complex leading to the to the basic gameplay mechanics). With support of course and documentation.
And supporting existing templates and extending them would be much better than having many free asset on the store (quality vs quantity).

ps: game examples wold be great. There is much content, that is not related to gamedevelopment (tech demo, visualisations, cutscenes…). But something related to making games would be nice again… but… with support and care please!!!

1. Lighting.
  2. How people in the industry do games.

Love to see more tutorials on creating a more complex car configurators from start to finish.

I would like to see more content on textures and 2D design, or any recommendation to online courses from the UE portal, thanks.

The Slay project was released. There was a simple post on how they made it here

but this would be one of those demo projects that should have a video of the making of it.
Cover some of the little tricks and approaches to building the environments
Cover the full sequencer build-up and master track showing dealing with sublevels, shots, sub-scenes, etc.

I’m reminded in looking at the Australia projects how much he used Niagara for flying birds and falling leaves. When Cascade was in use the Engine would come with basics such as fire and smoke. Yet these don’t seem to have been actually updated to Niagara.
It would be great to have better Niagara tutorials, including common needs, that also explained the process of designing and figuring out fx parameters more so than just sword flashes and magic spells.

Welp, I wish the documentation for each added feature actually existed. What we have now is mostly useless one liners.

We should focuss more on Multiplayer all together, this is the future : )

In response to comment on not making beginner/intermediate tutorials, I believe this would be a mistake. Having advanced tutorials are nice, but the commenter who is arguing against beginner/intermediate is really just arguing for more tutorials at his/her level rather than a balance imo. The argument about there being beginner/intermediate tutorials on Youtube is disingenous. There are advanced tutorials there also. The reality is, there is something to be said to having a continuity of quality from beginner to advanced training.

This is in regards to the changes in the portal design in Apr-5-2022. The portal seems to have lost any ability to track what courses are finished, which are being worked on currently, but more importantly, there seems to be no way to identify upfront which tutorials are UE4 based and UE5 based. To put a point on it, the courses on Architectural Visualization are UE4 based and much of the material is by definition of limited value since Architectural Visualization is so heavily lighting focused and the lighting component is so fundamentally different now with the official release of UE5. Now of course there are some people who may be sticking with UE4, and there is good content in the UE4 course that hasn’t been replicated in a UE5 course yet, but at least one should be able to tell upfront that it is UE4 based as this could cause much confusion for many who are newer to learning the technology and potentially frustrating to even people who are familiar with the two engines who are simply trying to work their way through the content efficiently without a lot of getting started in a project only to realize it doesn’t address their needs halfway through. Finally, on this topic, it would be good to see some of the better content that is rooted in UE4 technology updated for UE5.

2 Likes
  1. Can’t find my course progress anymore through the online browser account
  2. Not able to see the learning portal entry anymore on Epic Games Launcher
  3. Quizzes are gone. Bring them back.
  4. More 2D stuff
2 Likes

I would love to see a tutorial to fix the missing shadow and missing reflection and other missing stuff when using orthographic projection with camera or screen capture 2D!