Weird tiling shadows

The shadow casted by rocks low poly looks weird. The edge is hard but it seems to be some tiling inner, and I don’t know where the tiling pattern being from.

After testing

If I turn down the distance field shadow of the default light source(the directional light), the far prospect weird shadow gone but near one still exist.

If I just set the directional light to invisible, all the shadow gone and scene turns red.

If I just shut the “generate distance filed” option down in the project setting , it still has this wired shadow.
By the way it only affects landscape as I discovered now.

I would be appreciate if you could help me, thank you guys.

I think the pattern is on your landscape. Have you tried another landscape material?

Yes you’re right. But do you know or expact where does this pattern comes from? LayerHeightBlend? I don’t remember landscape has something properties like “Shadow Maps”.

It seems I found the causing, it is a landscape blend layer heightmap. If I scale the height map tiling, the pattern changes. But things only happen on this layer, the other layer keeps their function as usual.

But why? I’ve never heard or found Landscape LB heightblend will affect dynamic cast shadow.

Now it just looks like the heightmap of that snow layer just as a mask covered whole landscape and loose control by blending selection.

Newly found. The two snow layer has identical nodes struct, just different texture sample(pictures).
but “SnowSoft” works well while “SnowHarsh” just makes it heightmap mask every where and tiling no matter how I changes its parameters.

Yes, don’t know I’m afraid. Something strange going on with that material :wink:

But still thanks for giving a hint , I’ll keep on testing :slight_smile:

It seems solved just now by unknown reason. I simply force delete all the material instance and re-instance them, then the strange thing gone.
Suspect it to be some unknown bad temps in material instance during some operations or version upgrading.