Weird stretching of merged actors (video)

I have a few groups of trees and I’m trying to cut down on my drawcalls. When I merge the actors, I get a weird stretchy scaling of the trunks when walking closer and farther away from them. I’m using the scots pine assets from the open world demo collection. Here’s a video:

Anyone have ideas as to what’s causing this or where to start looking?

EDIT: I was going through the landscapes content example when I noticed a similar weirdness:

Seems like it’s either my system or a bug. Can anyone else confirm this behavior?

The problem is coming from the material, I think. Something to do with world location.

But if you only have a few trees ( < 1200 ) I wouldn’t bother, just plonk them in the level. You aren’t going to see any real difference in draw calls.

If you have a large number and want to cut down on draw calls then use the foliage tool. That’s what it’s for. Do the whole lot with 1 draw call… :smiley:

Unfortunately, neither of those options work for me. I have a dense bunch of 100+ trees that is almost always in the player’s view. It requires a specific layout, and the trees aren’t even touching the ground, so the foliage tool won’t really work. My scene is gpu bound at the moment, and doing some digging I think it’s the draw calls causing the problem. Grouping together trees in sets bought me an extra 10 fps or so.

I’ve looked at the material, and I don’t see anything about world space or location.

Well, another thing you could do is get:

Then you could position them whever you want and turn them all into instances with one click. ( Not my product, but I do use it… )