Web Browser Plugin color in sRGB when 3D Widget expects linear

The Web Browser plugin appears washed out when viewed in-game because the color data is in sRGB and 3D Widget expects linear RGB.

Two instances of issue:

Solution:

Web Browser plugin needs to convert color data from sRGB to linear RGB to work correctly with widgets.

Temporary Workaround:

I am currently using a workaround where the material of the 3D Widget converts all color data from sRGB to linear RGB. This is not optimal as it will also convert color information that is correct from other parts of the Widget than the Web Browser. My material can be seen below:

Information on how to convert color spaces:
http://entropymine.com/imageworsener/srgbformula/

The issue is not with the widget needing to be rendered after post processing; it is that the web browser widget, in particular, is outputting its color information in sRGB instead of linear RGB. This causes it to display the webpage incorrectly and look “washed out” compared to all other widgets.

I tried implementing the changes suggested above and was unable to discern a difference in color. Could you provide an example project that compares the your solution and the original color of the web browser widget so that I could take a closer look?

I have included an example project below. The only difference between the actors is the material used. This is my current workaround as the issue seems to in the Web Browser plugin.

The material change makes the page not render as washed out. The picture below shows how the in-game browsers compare to Internet Explorer’s render of the website.

[link text][2]

After taking a look at the project provided I was able to reproduce this issue on our end. I have written up a report and I have submitted it to the developers for further consideration. I have provided a link to the public tracker. Please feel free to use the link provided for future updates.

link: Unreal Engine Issues and Bug Tracker (UE-50653)

Make it a great day

Hello J_Paul,

After doing some digging I was able to find a request to have the widget rendered after post process. Thank you for the information provided.

Make it a great day

We have the same issue on Android.
Any news on progress on this issue?

It seems like this issue still persists…
Maybe there should be default Material in the Engine?
Also, maybe there should be information about it in the documentation?

1 Like

Is there a solution to this problem???