Weapon Master VR Support Thread

Look in BP_VRCharacterHand for grab logic. When you pull the trigger the graph first looks to see if the object is a BP_InteractionObject, if it isn’t then it should pass through the WeaponMasterGrab function with out triggering a WeaponMasterGrab and do the Epic Template Grab. Is that not working right now?

Hey oneshot did I see that you said there is a Multiplayer Version of weapon master?

Hey, there isn’t yet. We do have plans to add multiplayer functionality but we couldn’t give you a time frame for it. Right now our biggest priorities are supporting every type of gun action and weapon type out there and simplifying and streamlining things as much as possible.

Hey everyone, I will be releasing 1.1 beta 2 this friday (9/29) for customers. I have already highlighted what is coming in beta 2 but I will likely write up a blog post about the recoil changes before I release it. Also, I am hoping to do a stream on thursday or friday showing off all the new features added in beta 2. Beta 3 will be a much smaller update and will likely come much faster. I am looking to release 1.1 on the MP in late October.

Do you have a video on holstering? In the static mesh pick up video you said you were going to go over it later.

I am changing holstering for 1.1 so the video is coming but its going to be a bit different than it is right now.

Doing a dev stream today for those interested. Drop by and chat! Twitch

Firearm Feel in Weapon Master VR Part 1

So this is the first part of a three part update on my attempts to make firearms in weapon master “feel” better to shoot. The goal has always been to attempt to trick the mind into believing you are firing a real gun. Obviously, there is always going to be a disconnect due to the lack of holding a real gun with real recoil and weight, but I think we can get it as close as possible with a little more work. For this first update I have overhauled Recoil to not only be better, but to give y’all many more variables to tweak things with. This is by no means the end of me perfecting recoil, but it is a big step forward.

The New Recoil
First off recoil is no longer instant. There is now a travel and rotation time. Also, directional recoil plays a much bigger part that it did before. You can also put a delay between rotational recoil and directional to better match real world recoil. Essentially when a gun recoils the muzzle moves up first due to the path of least resistance on your wrist allowing for the roll. Depending on how good you are at shooting this recoil can be more or less (in the real world). After this initial muzzle rise the recoil then moves backwards forcing your hand slightly back with a pistol, or much farther back with a long gun. For default in weapon master I assume the character is a competent shooter that can manage recoil very well. You can tweak this “character skill” by adjusting the recoil variables. Even taking a skilled character into account I have allowed for some “player skill” as well. You can fight the recoil much like you would in a game like PUBG by counter rotating. This is sort of a gamified solution and by setting variables differently you can completely remove it if you wish.

A note about Variable Prefixes
All stats that can be adjusted by attachments follow this prefix scheme.
Base - the guns default value
Mod - the modifier value that comes from the attachment
Current -The adjusted value by adding Base and Mod together.

Recoil Variables.
**Use Recoil **- True if you want to use recoil for your gun.

Use Recoil Shot Delay (experimental) - true if you want to delay any recoil a set number of shots.

Shots to Delay - How many shots to delay if Use Recoil Shot Delay is true.

Recoil Direction - The direction the gun should recoil (Forward, Right, or Up).

Base Directional Recoil Amount - How far should the gun recoil in the chosen direction (negative for backwards).

Directional Recoil Rate - The speed at which the weapon should recoil directionally.

Directional Recoil Recovery Rate - How fast the weapon recovers from the direction recoil. How fast it returns to 0 state.

Base Directional Recoil Stabilization - How much stabilization should take away from directional recoil. Set between 0 and 1 where 0 is no recoil and 1 is full recoil.

Base Vertical Rotational Recoil Amount - (Range) How much the weapon should pitch per shot. Through testing I have found that while setting this as a range is fine you really should keep the numbers fairly close together. For example if your max recoil is 8 I would put the min no less than 7 but ideally around 7.5. The range is set up x and y so the previous exampe would be x: 7 Y: 8.

Base Horizontal Rotational Recoil Amount - (Range) How much the weapon should yaw per shot. This range should go be a negative for x and a positive for y.

Per Shot Recoil Type - Should the recoil be additive or subtractive? Basically should the recoil get worse every shot or get better.

Base Per Shot Vertical Rotational Recoil Amount - (Range) How much extra vertical recoil should be added per shot.

Base Per Shot Horizontal Rotational Recoil Amount - (Range) How much extra horizontal recoil should be added per shot.

Rotational Recoil Rate - Speed at which the gun recoil rotationally. The value of this is dependent on how much rotational recoil you have. Most of the time this should be between 90 and 120. Setting too low can lead to the gun’s recoil getting really erratic. Setting too high can make the recoil feel “bad”.

Rotational Recoil Recovery Rate - How fast the weapon recovers from the rotational recoil. Should be much less than Rotational Recovery Rate.

Base Vertical Rotational Recoil Stabilization - How much stabilization should take away from Vertical recoil. Set between 0 and 1 where 0 is no recoil and 1 is full recoil.

Base Horizontal Rotational Recoil Stabilization - How much stabilization should take away from horizontal recoil. Set between 0 and 1 where 0 is no recoil and 1 is full recoil.

I have a few more ideas that I will try in the future to make recoil better. Update 2, which I hope to get to while finishing up Beta 3 of 1.1, will be an update to Bloom logic and Rumble effects.

Beta 2 is live on . Check forum thread over there for known issues.

Hey, as a complete beginner in UE4 and game making in general I was wondering if I could tweak your template to show hands when holding a gun, rather than have them disappear? If yes, how would I go about doing that?
And also, would this work with the Hands for VR plugin from the Marketplace? I’m pretty sure it would, but I’d rather ask.
Thanks!

I have fixed the performance problem associated with beta 2. I will be releasing the update on Friday along with ui performance fix and oculus input fixes. Thank you all for testing. Keep finding those bugs!

Sorry, I missed your question. Umm, it wouldn’t be hard, you just need animations (poses) for the gun and uncheck the bool that hides the hands on guns. You will have to set up a animtion blueprint for the hands and pass the type of gun into it so that it knows what hand pose to use.

Right hands are coming to weapon master in 1.2 which is likely around Dec-Jan time frame. So if you can wait we are already adding that.

Hands for VR should work as long as they are based on the epic hand skeleton. I think I have a tutorial for setting that up with weapon master. Is that the one with the sci-fi hands?

Hope this helps!

Both Inventory UI and Mag performance fixed. Just need to fix oculus controls and Beta 2.1 will be ready to release!

Would be nice if I could get 1.1 out before 4.18 release…

Beta 2.1 is now live on .

Started on beta 3. Item spawner revamp already finished. Should have save and load done soon.

Just wanted to pop in and give yall and update on 1.1. I am ahead of schedule for release and have decided to add a few new things to 1.1 weapon master vr. They are:

1. New optional control method for HTC Vive Controller that allows dual wielding of advanced firearms as well as simple firearms (basically bypasses all main hand off hand logic). This method will allow OG Vive controller to retain some feature parity of the new Vive Knuckles and keep all movement modes intact.
  2. Give Oculus users dual wield capability that ignores main hand and off hand.
  3. Completely redesign the item spawning system.
  4. Special surprise that I will announce sometime next week. (Hint-Cowboys loved these.)

In other news, there will be no Beta 3 for 1.1. Instead I will just be releasing 1.1 around then end of October. I will let you know the exact date it will show up on when its ready (will submit to epic that same day). Along with what has been added in beta 1 and 2, 1.1 will also have what is listed above, falling/jumping, and Saving/Loading.

I have created a trello so yall can follow along with what we are working on and what is coming in future updates.

Any news on when you are releasing the weapon packs? Also I’m not sure if I mentioned this before but will you be able to add the ability for an opening doors drawers logic etc?

Weapon Packs will start coming out next year. We will have a free example weapon sometime in the near future to give yall an idea on the quality you will be getting. would be better to ask about that as he will be doing the weapons. Right now he is finishing up the Premium version of the Zombie we intend to sell.

I am going to be adding some interaction stuff in 1.2 (might have forgot to add that to trello). Buttons, Levers and Doors should be in. Anything beyond that will be in 1.3.

i want to make the weapons snap to the holster when they are released. i got the weapon to snap to the location of the holster but i cant get it to holster itself, it just falls right through. i have tried many different things. what is the correct way to make this happen? (please not that i have already done a lot of work, so updating to a newer version is not an option for me)