We need to discuss the performance drops in UE5.1=>

We need to discuss the performance drops that I’ve been seeing since switching to UE5.1.1. I wanted to start a new project and since that gave me an excuse to upgrade to 5.1.1, I did so.

But I noticed something out of place. (Which also happens after switching to UE5.2 Preview 1, hoping that the following issue would have been fixed. But no.)

In 5.0.3, with an empty level with just a sky - made of all the usual pillars, a Sky Light, Atmosphere, Directional Light, Volumetric Clouds, and Exponential Height Fog, all set to Cinematic scalability - I would be getting around 120FPS, but now after upgrading to 5.1.1 and even 5.2 Preview 1, I get ~30FPS. A 75% drop. And even after turning my scalability settings down to LOW, I was getting ~50FPS. A bit weird considering no graphical changes have been made to the engine since the now 1 year old 5.0 version of the engine.

I’ve checked if FPS is for whatever reason capped by executing ‘t.MaxFPS 0’. It wasn’t. I switched to DirectX11 from DirectX12. No difference. I even tried ■■■■■■■ Vulkan. No change still. And it is definitely not capped since after putting even a bit of nanite Megascans in the level the FPS did drop to 28. Nice.

There was a guy on YouTube who tried deleting the Intermediate and Saved folders in his project directory, which I had no idea on how that would impact the FPS, but in a situation like this, to me it was worth trying everything. All to find it still had no effect. -_-

So now, I feel like the only good solutions are to:

1. Upgrade my PC and forget about the issue.
  2. Downgrade to 5.0.3.

If someone has a working solution, that would be beyond relief for me and my stupid computer.

Thank you!

MY SPECS: (don’t expect too much, when picking my first PC I went with the ‘get a Dell Optiplex or something similar and throw a mid-range 10 series GPU in it’ strategy.)

CPU: Intel Xeon E3-1220 V2
RAM: 16GB DDR3
GPU: Asus GTX 1050Ti Phoenix
PC MODEL: Dell Precision T1650
Resolution that the level is running at: 1440p