We are now accepting PayPal

Any plans on adding the option for yearly subscriptions?

Hi ga1lyons,
Unfortunately there is no plan to support yearly subscription at the moment.

Awesome news! :slight_smile:

That might be true for many - luckily not me. I would say PayPal is more complex in total than just adding in my credit card information. And I’m guessing Epic gets more out of my money as they don’t go through PayPal. All in all it’s just preference I guess.

Any plans to accept bottle caps?

Thx, I only have a Prepaid CC and that needs some Days until the Money is on it. For Subs PayPal is much better for me.

BitCoin

That was the first thought I had too when I read about paypal. Let’s hope enough of us post wanting bitcoin payments.

Since you split the forums, how about announcing that on the UT4 forum as well?

Please add the way to switch the payment method directly.

So now that we can use PayPal, any chance we’ll be able to pay the equivalent of $19 instead of €19 soon, and let paypal handle the conversion?
Just asking because that’s about a €5 difference at the moment :wink:

I know I’m part of a minority here, but I’d like to echo the support for bitcoin payments.

Just talk to BitPayor Coinbase. They’ll make it very easy for you guys, and you won’t have to worry about price volatility at all.

I know several individuals shying away from the sub. I’ve been seeking for a way to Gift one-time subscriptions so they can at least get the Engine started. UE4 Gift Certificates?

Suggestions:

1. Bitcoin. I also want to lend vocal support to bitcoin. Bitpay or Coinbase, as mentioned earlier, let you accept bitcoin straight into USD without fluctuation. You’d be lending support to many people in the world who don’t necessarily have easy-access to credit cards or traditional banking, yet do have access to the internet and a computer and are possibly every bit as eager to pay for a good engine (rather than rely on torrents). Of course, you’d be supporting anyone who simply wishes to pay that way: supporting choice. That would put Epic in the ranks of companies such as Newegg, Wordpress, Reddit, Namecheap, Overstock, TigerDirect, and so on. It’s a pretty good method to accept regardless of whether one personally uses it.

2. Gift cards. That’ll be great.

Myself…

I just signed-up via Paypal for now. Looking forward to digging in.

I’m having trouble subscribing via Paypal.

1. On https://www.unrealengine/payment I select Germany, Paypal, mark the checkbox and click “Checkout with Paypal”.
  2. On the Paypal page that comes up I enter by Paypal account credentials and click Einloggen (log in).

This is what I get after the log-in attempt: “Wir können Ihre Anfrage zurzeit leider nicht verarbeiten. Kehren Sie zu Epic Games International S.a.r.l zurück, und wählen Sie eine andere Option aus.”
://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/280x200q90/540/MCGCOn.png
Translation: “We cannot process your request at this time. Please return to Epic Games International S.a.r.l and select a different option.”
My account definitely isn’t locked (I can log in via the Paypal website) and contains more than the 19€ I expected to pay.
The weird part is: If I pick United States, I get to accept the payment. I just didn’t do that yet because I don’t know about the implications of not including VAT.

I think your post better fits into this thread: CLICK ME
Perhaps there’s an answer for your problem, I didn’t read the whole thing.

Btw: You can only subscribe via PayPal if there’s a credit card connected to your PayPal account.
Maybe it will help to contact the PayPal support and ask them what’s wrong.

I looked for that thread but must have missed it as it’s no longer sticky.

BTW: Requiring credit card information is stupid. The entire point of having Paypal is not requiring a credit card to pay for stuff. It may be hard to believe from the US point of view, but in Germany you get along perfectly well without a credit card. (In fact, there are many places where it’s not possible to pay with a credit card around here. Paying in cash or via debit card is far more common.)

Hi Wormbo,

Paypal requires some kind of funding source (such as a bank account or credit card) on your account in order to activate a subscription. Only one-time payments are allowed without a funding source (which we do not offer at the moment). This is a business policy of Paypal that we unfortunately have no control over. Do you have a bank account attached to your Paypal account? Or do you fund your Paypal account in other ways?

I’m sorry I can’t be more helpful to resolve your issue. We do appreciate the feedback and are continuing to improve the types of payment methods we offer so users such as yourself have more options.

Regards,

I have 3 questions which might go outside the topic of this thread as I cannot find the appropriate forum for account related topics / suggestions.

• Question 1 -
    Currently we have a [EMAIL=“billing@company”]billing@example-company PayPal account a payment method which is setup on multiple UE4 user accounts. This was done by getting each person to create a UE4 account with a temporary password at which point the person in charge of billing would login to the account, hook it up with PayPal and then tell the user it was safe to log back in and change their password to something they only know.

Now all what the owner and/or owner of the company PayPal account has to do is cancel the recurring subscription on PayPal’s end without needing to access the users UE4 account.

Or

The owner of that UE4 account can of course cancel it on their end, but they cannot modify the billing information as it is with PayPal (different case when its credit card).

The point is that would this also allow all of those users to freely make purchases on the UE4 Marketplace when its released or would you be required to fill out your billing information at checkout?

• Question 2 -
    Are there any plans for bulk billing outside of a custom UE4 license?

• Question 3 -
    Will there be at some point in the near to mid future for sub-users or creating a user group with invite capabilities on an account for company / team handling.

Hi Benjamin,

To answer your questions…

#1: Yes, the user of the account would be able to make purchases on the marketplace. The Paypal account is setup as a payment method on file that could be used for both subscriptions and marketplace items. It’s a very creative solution to share a payment method across your company for the subscriptions, but we had definitely not anticipated this use in our implementation of our marketplace (which shares the same payment system).

#2&3: We have talked about bulk purchasing for subscriptions, but do not have a self-service mechanism at the moment. However, if you contact us via the custom license form (https://www.unrealengine/custom-licensing), somebody may be able to help you out. In general, we know that we need better self-service team management tools for the UE4 subscription business. We are actively discussing these topics to make sure we do the right thing, but we do not have a time frame at the moment.

I hope this helps. Let me know if you have any other questions.

To also make this public and not just via PM:

I encountered the same issue as Wormbo and a lot of people in this thread.
When trying to use PayPal in Germany you will only get an error message stating that a payment can currently not be processed and you should choose a different payment method.
Now after doing some research and only recieving automated responses from the support at PayPal I thought I’d post about it here once again to raise awareness.

It seems that PayPal’s security system blocks the payment due to it being for a virtual good - the only response I’ve always read about in different contexts was to add a credit card to PayPal or use transactions.
Since transactions are not supported and I don’t own a credit card there is no possibility for me to obtain Unreal Engine.

Now since PayPal has a SEPA direct debit mandate for my bank account there should be no reason to not be able to use this payment method. I hope the devs can take a look into this issue and sort it out with PayPal. Shouldn’t be too hard to add an exception for Unreal to their security system (if thats the source of the issue).

edit:\

#Update : After contacting the support of PayPal and Unreal the issue got resolved - I don’t know what has changed but I was able to purchase this now.