Water running down a pebble wall? Is it possible?

Hi,

I’m new to UE4 so I don’t know if this is possible or not but it should be. I’m trying to create a water curtain on a pebble wall just like in video below:

Could someone could help me? It has to be incredibly realistic because I will use it in an archviz project and will do close-ups as part of a presentation I’m working on.

Any help will be much appreciated!

Thanks.

You could easily create a running water effect that you assign to a layer in the material (to display it on top of the stone material) or you create a copy of the mesh and use the water material for that.

But it depends on how close you get, from a meter away it will look realistic enough (especially with some post processing). But if you want to be really close (like 10cm), then you have to either use complex particles or some fluid-system (like the one from nVidia). In either case, it’s not going to be worth the effort if it’s just for archviz and the waterwall is just a small part of the architecture - and not the main focus of it.

But that’s just my opinion of course, generally you can do a lot with smoke and mirror, generally people won’t care if the whole presentation looks coherent in quality and “feel”.

You need to change roughness and the UVs of your Base Texture with your “water” texture.
https://streamable.com/gqef7

1 Like

increasing metallic also helps achieve a wet look.

1 Like

That is exactly what I was looking for!

I will get it done tonight and come back with samples.

Thank you :slight_smile:

Thanks for helping me out Raildex.

See below my result:

It’s not a pebble wall like I intended but thanks to you it works fine.

Regards.

1 Like