Water Collision (UE4 Water Plugin)

Hi everyone. I’m still pretty new to UE4 (and mostly working with blueprints) and made a small forest level with a river and lake using the new Water Plugin. I’m trying to setup collision that would stop the player from getting too deep into the water without the proper items/tools.

Think of Pokemon games, how you can get near the water, or even walk in super shallow water, but never actually submerge yourself or be able to cross deeper waters without moves like Surf or Dive.

Anyone know of a straightforward way to do this? I know it can be done using Blocking Volumes that let you through if you have the items in inventory, but I would ideally like to find a more dynamic way that would work for any deep body of water without having to place a bunch of volumes. Thanks in advance!

Edit: I tried putting a large box at my character’s feet that would detect collision with water. If it touches water, it would prevent my player from walking off of ledges. However, there are two problems with this:

1. It only seems to work when I make the ledges nearly 90 degree angles, even the slightest bit of smoothness seems to not be considered as a ledge by UE4, and thusly my player still falls in the water.

2. Even when I make these sharp, unnatural right angles, the ledge walk-off prevention only seems to work if I approach head-on. I mean that if I make my character walk along the riverbed, suddenly the ledge walk-off prevention seems to stop working.

I’ve attached screenshots of the code I’m using and my character collision.