VRTemplate - Build Lighting Crashes UE5 - Adding Landscape Material - Build Lighting crashes at Exporting Data 33%

@VictorLerp (you seem to be the go to for XR ;^)

Understanding that this is all Preview, I think this is an important issue - would love a work around.

Using the stock VRTemplate in UE5P2, I added a Material to the stock Landscape -
I can get it set up, but I get notices that Lighting needs to be rebuilt
Running Build | Build Lighting Only I crash with the following.
Have submitted the data via the crash dialog.

All nVidia and Intel drivers up to date - I have tried both the Studio and Gamer nVidia driver versions. I am running on a SurfaceBook 3 with Unreal configured to run against the nVidia GPU. Video Setting attached,

Best,
Nick

LoginId:will provide if needed
EpicAccountId:Will provide if needed

Assertion failed: CurrentGPUVirtualAddress != 0 [File:D:\build++UE5\Sync\Engine\Source\Runtime\D3D12RHI\Private\D3D12DescriptorCache.cpp] [Line: 729]

UnrealEditor_D3D12RHI!FD3D12DescriptorCache::SetConstantBuffers<0>() [D:\build++UE5\Sync\Engine\Source\Runtime\D3D12RHI\Private\D3D12DescriptorCache.cpp:729]
UnrealEditor_D3D12RHI!FD3D12StateCacheBase::ApplyState<0>() [D:\build++UE5\Sync\Engine\Source\Runtime\D3D12RHI\Private\D3D12StateCache.cpp:648]
UnrealEditor_D3D12RHI!FD3D12CommandContext::RHIDrawIndexedPrimitive() [D:\build++UE5\Sync\Engine\Source\Runtime\D3D12RHI\Private\D3D12Commands.cpp:2079]
UnrealEditor_RHI!FRHICommandDrawIndexedPrimitive::Execute() [D:\build++UE5\Sync\Engine\Source\Runtime\RHI\Public\RHICommandListCommandExecutes.inl:214]
UnrealEditor_Renderer!FRHICommand<FRHICommandDrawIndexedPrimitive,FRHICommandDrawIndexedPrimitiveString1053>::ExecuteAndDestruct() [D:\build++UE5\Sync\Engine\Source\Runtime\RHI\Public\RHICommandList.h:768]
UnrealEditor_RHI!FRHICommandListExecutor::ExecuteInner_DoExecute() [D:\build++UE5\Sync\Engine\Source\Runtime\RHI\Private\RHICommandList.cpp:498]
UnrealEditor_RHI!FExecuteRHIThreadTask::DoTask() [D:\build++UE5\Sync\Engine\Source\Runtime\RHI\Private\RHICommandList.cpp:560]
UnrealEditor_RHI!TGraphTask::ExecuteTask() [D:\build++UE5\Sync\Engine\Source\Runtime\Core\Public\Async\TaskGraphInterfaces.h:975]
UnrealEditor_Core!FNamedTaskThread::ProcessTasksNamedThread() [D:\build++UE5\Sync\Engine\Source\Runtime\Core\Private\Async\TaskGraph.cpp:753]
UnrealEditor_Core!FNamedTaskThread::ProcessTasksUntilQuit() [D:\build++UE5\Sync\Engine\Source\Runtime\Core\Private\Async\TaskGraph.cpp:642]
UnrealEditor_Core!FTaskGraphCompatibilityImplementation::ProcessThreadUntilRequestReturn() [D:\build++UE5\Sync\Engine\Source\Runtime\Core\Private\Async\TaskGraph.cpp:2115]
UnrealEditor_RenderCore!FRHIThread::Run() [D:\build++UE5\Sync\Engine\Source\Runtime\RenderCore\Private\RenderingThread.cpp:325]
UnrealEditor_Core!FRunnableThreadWin::Run() [D:\build++UE5\Sync\Engine\Source\Runtime\Core\Private\Windows\WindowsRunnableThread.cpp:146]

2 Likes

Also - turning off Forward Shading turned off, I get a different behavior. UE5 editor locks up at 25% Exporting Lighting Data ā€¦ In the original setup with Forward Shading enabled, it crashes at 33%

Also - I am able to build with in UE 4.27.2.. doing the same thing on the VR Temaplate - adding a Material to the landscape - the build Lighting Only ā€¦ works fine

Same problem in 5.0. :neutral_face: Happens in VRTemplate when building lighting.

2 Likes

Well, the 5.0 release is out - hoping it fixed there. Watched a bunch of stuff from ā€œState of Unrealā€ and it was unbelievable - hats off - so nicely done. Unreal Engine 5 Release | The State of Unreal 2022 Keynote Presentation - YouTube

Not fixed (for me at least) Iā€™m having this issue right now, clean 5 launcher install with default VR template with no changes :confused:

2 Likes

Same here.

1 Like

Samething here. I suspected a problem with gpu driver. I did a format and reinstall latest gpu driver with UE5 and the error is here again.

VRtemplate crashes when I build lighting as well. I reinstalled windows and all drivers. Problem still persisits.

I do have a BADsize text message on my player start capsule. I will attempt to troubleshoot and get back.

Canā€™t build lightning and canā€™t create materials on vr template scene. Preview does some crashes about lightning but 5.0 is non useable for me. :frowning:

3060ti using last nvidia studio drivers.
fully reinstalled 5.0
i created new vr template.

Assertion failed: CurrentGPUVirtualAddress != 0 [File:D:\build++UE5\Sync\Engine\Source\Runtime\D3D12RHI\Private\D3D12DescriptorCache.cpp] [Line: 729]

Summary

UnrealEditor_D3D12RHI
UnrealEditor_D3D12RHI
UnrealEditor_D3D12RHI
UnrealEditor_RHI
UnrealEditor_Renderer
UnrealEditor_RHI
UnrealEditor_RHI
UnrealEditor_RHI
UnrealEditor_Core
UnrealEditor_Core
UnrealEditor_Core
UnrealEditor_RenderCore
UnrealEditor_Core
UnrealEditor_Core
kernel32
ntdll

Hey everyone I responded with information and a workaround here: OpenXR VR Template | Feedback and Discussion - #99 by VictorLerp

4 Likes

Thanks, that fixed it for me, the Direct X workaround from VictorLerp.

@ Qurmudgeon

Just drag your PlayerStart up and the ā€˜BadSizeā€™ will go away.

@VictorLerp Thanks so much for the workaround!