VR template solution to blur ?

Hi,

I just tried the VR template with the 4.13 release and found that by default the image with HTC Vive is quite blurry by default.

So i tried quite a few things and for me it seems that the only solution to improve the sharpness of the image is to set r.ScreenPercentage higher that 150 which cause a drop in performance.

Why is the image so blurry by default ?

Do you guys get image quality as sharp as in the editor without setting the r.ScreenPercentage higher than 100.

I guess i am not the only one in this situation.

What about you guys ?

Try set the resolution see if it makes any differnce.
r.SetRes 2160x1200

Thanks Gozu for your answer.

Yes i tried the r.SetRes 2160x1200 and also the loading of a new level as mentioned in other posts but it does not fix anything.

So i did some tests with the VR title that i own and the conclusion is that right now the unreal engine VR games are much more blurry than the unity game.

I even found that Nvidia fun house is blurry compare to the Lab from Valve.

It seems that the problem comes from the way anti aliasing is handle.

I found this post and i could not agree more with it : Does Epic Have a Proper Solution for Anti-Aliasing in VR? - VR and AR Development - Unreal Engine Forums

I also found this article from the occulus team that explain they had to modify the unreal renderer in order to get sharper image https://developer.oculus.com/blog/introducing-the-oculus-unreal-renderer/

So right now it seems that we are waiting for an upgrade for the unreal engine in order to adress this issue.

So, if someone were to combine the branch Oculus made and the one Nvidia made for Funhouse (both use the 4.11 engine as a base) …you would have something pretty awesome

(to see it: Unreal Engine on GitHub - Unreal Engine)

well based on my tests the one from Nvidia is still blurry compared to the quality of the Lab from Valve.

The occulus initiative seems the most promising one even if i did not have a chance to test it.

the funhouse one has the entire VRWorks library built in …it just needs help with the intrinsic blur issue UE4 is causing. Does Valve have a separate UE4 branch or is it just a plugin?

Are you using TemporalAA or FXAA antialiasing?? In my own experience TemporalAA is better (for VIVE at least) because is still blurry but less than FXAA. In my project (with a lot of buildings and “vertical lines”) FXAA causes some kind of annoying “distortion” because the shimering.

Bye!

I got Nvidia to talk about the VRWorks support in Funhouse

Pittsburghjoe : As regards Valve, they are using unity with forward rendering, so no UE4 branch or plugin in this case. Thanks also for posting the link to nvidia

ColibriLive : i tried FXAA and TemporalAA and i prefer FXAA with the Vive but i do not think it make a huge difference.

It is the AA. You can turn it off altogether to see what that looks like. Just change the AA in your post-processing volume between none, FXAA and temporal to compare. For both FXAA/TAA you can change the number of samples it does. More samples generally means cleaner edges, but more blur. You can change this dynamically at the console with r.PostProcessAAQuality [0-6] 0 = off 6 = most samples. These are both full scene AA techniques, they will AA both edges and textures/materials, but at the cost of a general blur.

The nvidia multres shading and gameworks branches are essentially various techs for things related to physics and VR performance (multi-res shading), but generally won’t interact much with the blurriness you speak of.

Moving to a forward renders that uses multisample AA (MSAA) will help make your VR more crisp by just AA edges (but leaving the potential for specular and material aliasing). There are currently two branches for this: the oculus branch which is very different that the standard UE rendering path, and the Epic forward render coming in 4.14 for PC (mobile is already a forward render). The oculus fork has some limitations about numbers of lights, etc. I have found, in my limited time with it, if you just load up an existing project it will visually differ quite a bit from the standard deferred UE render. You will likely have to commit to the oculus path and tailor your art to match. The other option is the official forward render for PC that is currently being worked on by Epic. A really, really rough version is hidden in 4.13, but will see its first general release (likely as ‘experimental’) in 4.14. It doesn’t appear to have the same limitations and generally I’ve found the visuals match the deferred render more than the oculus fork does.

No perfect solution exists for AA that removes all jaggies and aliasing without impacting the crispness of the image

Im using txaa and r.sreenpercentage 200

Thanks for all your answers, i am using FXAA right now but i give another tried to Temporal AA.

I also set r.sreenpercentage 200 and it improve quite a bit the crispness of the image.

We will see what 4.14 bring to the table but where did you read that 4.14 add the forward rend

I also toyed with Screenpercentage and it was like wiping oil off my lenses - the improvement and perception of reality was a huge lift up from defaults. It’s quite blurry at defaults really.

Looking forward to getting these two 1080’s strapped together with VR SLI too.