VR Screen Space Widgets

Hello all,

I’m trying to render a Widget in VR to show some text on the world. The example image I’m showing you is taken from a standard viewport, not VR. I’m trying to accomplish something similar to it with an HMD, but screen space widgets just don’t work, they stand close to the user’s view because… well… obviously it is not a screen but an HMD view.

What should be my approach here? Is there an alternative where I render the widget as world space and set a specific material type and rotate it towards the player?

Thanks in advance!

A widget component:

As a bonus you get automatic z-Sorting since this is world space. But you’ll need to rotate them manually towards the camera, as you said.

Hello, thanks for the answer.
Maybe I didn’t clarify it, but I’m using a Widget Component.
The thing is, on world space, if the widget is too far away you can’t see it (low quality and size), as you do in Screen Space.

There aren’t too many choices here:

• keep it in screen-space and scale far elements down (minor reduction in quality) - not sure how well this will hold up in VR
  • use world-space (widgets look meh at best, even up close), scale far elements up based on camera distance

VR is not my domain, though. :expressionless:

There’s also text render component - it’s world space to you may need to scale it up if it gets too small but the quality is nice.

on your Widget blueprint, in designer view, try using Custom On Screen or Desired On Screen

Hello ,
It didn’t work. I think the problem is that in VR there is no screen to act as a reference, so these type of widgets (Screen Space) won’t work.
Do you have any suggestions to render text on a really large scaled world?
Thanks for the suggestion tho.

This is how those widgets are showing up in VR.