VR projects show UE4 Editor loading screen

4.26 and 4.27

On the 30th Dec 21 I started getting the ‘UE4 Editor loading’ screen (as per image attached) in my UE 4 VR Game Kit (VRGK v1.0) project where I was trying to get Dungeon Architect working in the VR Game Kit framework. The standard VRGK sample maps were working in VR up until this point, as were several other VR projects.

Steam VR games are still working fine, so the headset (Oculus Rift S) itself is fine.

The initial project that started this behavior is the 4.27 VRGK project with Dungeon Architect(DA) plugin enabled.

When you run the VR project it displays the expected screen on the flat screen monitor, but in the VR headset it shows the vast white plane and the UE4 Editor loading screen, and never loads the screen content, where it was working just fine previously.

I did some further testing after plenty of attempting to solve the problem and summarised what was or wasn’t working:

Newly created VRGK v1 project 4.27? NOT working(as in shows loading screen).

Newly created VRGK v1 project 4.26? NOT working.

Newly created Epic VR template 4.27? NOT working.

Newly created Epic VR template 4.26? NOT working.

Newly created VRGK version 2.0 project 4.27? NOT working.

Steam games? WORK

Pre-packaged/compiled exe VRGK demo? WORKS

4.22 old existing VR template project non-packaged? WORKS

Pre-existing VR SciFiBow 4.25.4 non packaged project? WORKS

I am running out of ways to attempt to resolve this, and I tried verifying my 4.27 install and that has now also crashed and burned and won’t complete the repair (separate answer hub)

Any help much appreciated.

[Windows 10(up to date), 64Gb RAM, RTX3060(geforce drivers up to date), LOTS of free disk space]
[1]:

1 Like

I removed and reinstalled 4.27 and created a new VR template project and it is still happening. That is, I see the UE4 Editor loading screen with a white planed backdrop.

1 Like