VR programming courses for Unreal?

Hello all

VR dev here that has been working on my C++ heavily for over a month now. I think I’m ready to start taking on VR programming tasks. I’m looking for suggestions on how to learn.

So I bought gamedev.tv’s Udemy course for VR in Unreal. I am really unimpressed in the first few lessons. I am wondering if it’s really dated? I know VR changes rapidly but I am also not sure if the basics stay the same? Also the support seems to be non-existent. I’m having a problem that I can see others are having and the instructors haven’t responded in months. Has anyone done this course and can tell me if it’s worth continuing or not? I really don’t see many other courses tuned for VR.

I also did the first module of the Oculus VR Production for Unrealcourse in Unreal Learning. It’s less than a year old which means it’s still fresh, and from what I can tell it teaches good design practices that work across all platforms. The issue I have with it is that it’s entirely in Blueprint! And they barely explain any of the Blueprint scripting so I feel like I am just copying the videos that move at lightning-quick pace without truly understanding what we are telling Unreal to do which defeats the purpose for me.

So I’m asking - where are the best resources to learn programming for VR? For context: I finished a multimedia program in November designed specifically for AR/VR development. We are trained as generalists and none of us are coming from a game dev or film background so to be frank none of us were employable upon graduation. So I decided to lean hard in the C++ programming and have been intensively teaching myself with the goal of being employed as a VR programmer by March 1st (I would settle for any programming job in Unreal however). So any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

• Shea

I have one suggestion. I struggled to get into VR learning for ages until I found the marketplace asset http://www.unrealengine.com/marketplace/en-US/product/advanced-vr-framework
and then things clicked a bit, particurly as their discord help and youtube videos were really helpful. The community on discord is great.

p.s. I am not affiliated with it in any way, just a happy user.

Worth checking out in my opinion.

Good luck.

Hey, just seeing this now. That is not a cheap asset. But I am open to it. You say this can teach VR development? Thanks for your response.

I don’t really know a good public learning resource for VR specific coding, but if you’re privy to looking into others’ code then definitely check out VR Expansion Plugin.
[HR][/HR]
If you’re looking to learn blueprint, you can start here Epic Games. The worst thing you may find with blueprints is some of the terminology of C++ is changed to something else for blueprints.

VR is not as scary as you think , As a non programmer I started out with VR and learned some code but all in bps.
And I have managed to get my head around a lot of the issues and understanding. If I can do it Im confidant you can.
Youtube was my teacher. check out some of VR_marcos videos.
Im debating doing dome vr tutorial vids myself once I finish up My VR interaction system.

Alright, thank you!