VR Mode not available doesn't work 5.1

I can’t enable the VR mode in order to edit my level.

I have a Quest 2, which works fine with the VR preview so its not a problem connecting the headset to the engine.

As far as I am aware I should see an icon “VR Mode” next to the sequencer icon above the viewport but its not there.

Any help with be greatly appreciated.

2 Likes

Same here. Did you find a solution in the meantime? VR Preview works just fine, but I couldn’t find a way to get the VR Mode starting.

1 Like

VR Editing Mode works in 5 and 5.1, but only if you disable OpenXR and use the old Oculus and SteamVR plugins. We’ll have some updates to share in regards to VR Editing Mode and Virtual Scouting around 5.2.

I’ve tried every combination of SteamVR, OculusVR, OpenXR and all three of the settings in the OculusVR settings (deprecated OculusVR only, OculusVR + OpenXR and OpenXR) and none of them work with SteamVR headsets or Oculus headsets in 5.1.0.

The toggle VR mode button simply never shows up, and Shift+V (confirmed to be the correct binding) does not toggle VR mode either.

I looked in the output log but didn’t see any of the plugins failing to load.

This happens even with a stock Virtual Production template project with no changes.

How do you get this to work? It works in 5.0.3 but not 5.1.0.

I was mistaken - VR Editor Mode only works in 5.0 w. the legacy plugins, and not in 5.1. OculusVR and SteamVR have been deprecated in 5.1, and for OpenXR we’re working on a new VR Editor framework for Virtual Scouting and beyond. More news to come soon, keep an eye out on the Forums!

1 Like

Okay that makes sense, I stepped through the code and the Oculus runtime was returning ovrp_Unsupported in 5.1

these kinds of things should be comunicated better… its really not fun to spend half a day troubleshooting something that just doesnt work…

6 Likes

Has there been any development in this? I spent half a week building a scene for VR and just now tried to view it. I’m using the new Build 5.1.1 What am I doing wrong?

Finally fixed. Seems like VR editor removed for Virtual Scouting.
You can easily activate VR Editor by enabling OpenXR and Virtual Production Utilities plugins.
Activating the Virtual Scouting Tools | Unreal Engine 5.3 Documentation