VR Fullbody tracking with IK

Hey everyone ! I’ve developped a small test for fullbody tracking, using Antilatency (https://antilatency.com/), and inverse kinematics for arms and legs.

6 trackers were used : 1 for the head, 2 for the hands, 2 for the foot, and 1 for the back. Also, a 3D printed weapon is tracked using one additional tracker.

What do you think about that ? What would you improve regarding the IK ?

Here is the video :

That looks exceptional. I couldn’t see how well it handles extremities (arms all the way out) and rapid movement, but the motion looks very smooth. Well enough for any level of immersion I’d expect!

Wouldn’t happen to be willing to share some of your IK solution, would you? I know there are easily dozens of developers on this board alone who would be ravenous to take a look at any good full body examples. Of course, if it’s close to your chest, I understand. :slight_smile:

Edit: I rewatched it, and saw the full extension during your little cabbage patch. Very nice. I also caught that motion of your elbow when your wrist was pointing down on the weapon, then you rotated it roughly parallel to the floor and your elbow did a natural-looking transition. Elbow movement like that is always what I look for when seeing these IK solutions, because I know none of that comes baked in when using out-of-the-box FABRIK/CCDIK nodes.

Heve heard of Antilatency months ago. Your result is quite impressive. How much have you spent on the tracking devices totally? I am thinking of using Antilatency devices to replace VIVE trackers.

Thank you for your feedbacks ! Just to answer you :

I know you can’t see every moves in this video, maybe should I make a new one by filming me “in the real life” for a side to side real time comparison ? But there are still improvements to make (especially regarding the hands, they are not placed perfectly).

Regarding the source sharing, I am sorry, but in fact me one other developer are willing to develop a complete IK solution for UE4 (maybe Unity as well ?) with automatic scaling of the skeleton regarding the height of the user, customizable tracker position on the body, and, next step, finger tracking using either an existing solution (Manus VR ?) or a custom one.

We hope we will be able to commercialize this solution, and we are currently not sure if we want it to be open source or not ^^’

But I can tell you that, for now, we are not using “complicated” IK code or nodes, simply the “Look at” one for the head, FABRIK for the hands and the “Leg IK” node.

Knowing that we want to develop a multiplayer experience in a 40m² room, we have spent quite a lot in Antilatency ! But you can see the princing on the web site : Pricing

What I can tell you is that for what you saw on the video you need 6 cameras (7 if you want to track a weapon), 2 HMD radio socket, 2 bracers, and 2 tags (plus one usb socket for the weapon), so about 810$. The pricing also depends on the size of the room in which you want to track the user (25$ per square meter), and then you need to pay the licence fee.

Also, I don’t think it’s supposed to be for a non professional use, and if the game you want to use are not compatible with Antilatency, you won’t be able to replace your VIVE trackers.

Thank you for the detailed information. It’s quite difficult to do full body IK in UE4 after Orion, looking forward to more of your work!

Of course. Thank you for the information you did provide! Your result with FABRIK is better than the ones I’ve played with, perhaps some more tweaking is in order. Again, nice work!