VR Expansion Plugin

It changes how the blueprint functions work that interact with objects (adds more gameplay tag integration, more robust), and simplifies things (removes a bunch of functions, combines some into a unified function).

For the template it was fairly painless to upgrade objects, I just had to add some gameplay tags, for someones personal project that all depends on how much they directly reference the character, but it shouldn’t be “too” bad.

I’ll note that i’ll be leaving the original character setup as a legacy version (renamed) for a while as well so people can keep it as a base until they upgrade.

I am considering doing a stream tomorrow around 12pm est on twitch to go over the new changes I am making as well as have a Q&A session where I can show in real time parts in the editor to answer questions. Is anyone interested in that?

If not I will just make a overview video at the end of the week, no biggie. Trying to make good use of my time off.

I would be interested in it! I’m at work at 5 the next morning though so i don’t know if i’d be able to watch much/at all, but I definitely would watch the recording of it later though!

thanks for the response! Yeah I’m not sure if I kept the external motion controllers or not. I probably did. I’ll see if I can find them when I get home from work tonight. As for the climbing explanation you gave me: I guess i’m too new to UE to understand what you are trying to explain. sorry. Not sure how I would Override the function and check if the passed object is a climbable sub type. I would love to learn what you are talking about if you can explain it to me or point me to a YouTube video of someone explaining overriding functions and having sub types. If you don’t have the time that’s totally fine. Thanks for what you have provided to me already! I’m excited for the can be climbed function call that will be added!

Yeah ok, I can go over that tomorrow, i’ll try and make a note of it.

Even if no-one shows with questions i’ll still stream it tomorrow and just make the change log / feature talk, I recorded a video for it for the people that talk to me through youtube:

Was way cool you did , but unfortunately I wasn’t able to participate…

“I don’t have the hands in the template totally seperate like in Epics template.”

I set my hands up the same way (taking the cue from yours), and prefer it to Epic’s because now I only need to make changes to 1 hand to affect both.

Is there anything that can’t be done when you have the hands share the same mesh and AnimBP? (Hand-specific sockets could get messy, and the way you interface with the AnimBP has to be different, but other than that I can’t think of anything.)

I haven’t done it yet, I just lost track of dates on my week off :eek: its tomorrow July** 6th** at 12 est.

Also no, not really, both hands should function pretty much the same, also separate hand specific sockets have an implementation in the working copy from week that I can go over tomorrow.

Dear

Appreciation for the live Q&A. Unfortunately i missed the live session, hope i can see the recorded version.
Currently i am facing a problem with the latest build of the plugin.

while opening your latest template it reports some vrexpansion.dll missing and do a manual build.

when i did a manual build using visual studio the following error appears. Please help

regards
Jo

Your filenames are too long, drop the project back a folder as it has the auto generated zip title twice in there and is bloating the path length to longer than visual studio can handle.

Hey, I’ve been playing around with the example project, and I’ve found something that kind of bugs me.

One of the blueprints I made has a trigger volume on one end. For some reason, you can actually grab invisible volume and climb on it. Everything that that I’ve tried that changes also disables its trigger events.

Is there some way to have a working trigger volume that the VR character can’t grab onto? Like, some sort of setting you can change either in the character or on the trigger volume itself?

Thanks a lot for developing and sharing !!

<3vr

Sweet, you were quick. Is the new example template live? Bit bucket says last update was 6/30.

Nope, I want to get the last TODO items for the week in before I release it, expect it to be pushed live over the weekend.

Also here is the VOD from the Q&A / Go over:

Thank you very much . you saved a couple of days. I thought it was some installation issue as i updated Visual studio to 2017 and also unreal update… thanks a lot it also asked for windows SDK 8.1 although i had SDK10
thanks for the helap and thanks for the Q&A video upload going through it

regards
Jo

Update: I figured out how to make the grabbing ignore trigger boxes and trigger spheres. Basically I had to edit the “Get Nearest Overlapping Object” function in the Vive_PawnCharacter blueprint, and filter out any primitive components with the class “Box Collision” or “Sphere Collision” from the primitive component array. Sadly meant turning off the “trace sphere” method and sticking with the overlap method.

might be something you would wanna change sometime, unless you want the ability to grab these kinds of objects.

Temp HUD menu – really interested

Super cool template and functionalities!

So, I replaced the laser activate action in the left-controller, with a hold-pressing to show a VRStereoWidget that I’ve attached to the HeadMeash … but it is not interactable with the laser from the right-controller – like the server menu is (the one on the cube that has the “mirror”).

I understand that VRStereoWidget is alpha now; have you made any headway into its use as an interactable HUD? (I’m pretty sure I’m implementing it incorrectly on the Vive_PawnCharacter.)

? You don’t have to do that, just set things not to be blocked by VRTraceChannel and it won’t be a problem. I added a custom trace channel specifically for that reason.

Also sorry i missed your original post.

How would I go about turning off the feature where the object you are holding stops moving if it hits non-movable collision (like a wall) and instead pass through it? I can’t find where it is doing that in the Blueprints. I’m trying to test a simple pool game and the cue keeps stopping when I go to hit the ball because it hits the collision of the table. Would I just need to disable it entirely, or would I be able to put in exclusions? How would I do either of these? Thanks!

It obeys all common collision rules, so you can simply turn off collision with the table if you want to keep the physics rules.

However considering that you are making a pool game, the physics rules would be unwanted, so switch the grip type for the held cue to “Physics Only” (yes the naming may be a little confusing), PhysicsOnly means that it has no interactive collision and that the only collision is when physics objects get pushed around by it, basically it acts just like attaching but with all of the two handed grips and replication functionality.

Thanks for the response! I’m really sorry for my ignorance from being extremely new to , but I dont understand how I would change the grip type to physics only for the cue? I found the “set grip collision type” function, but not sure how I would use it to set the grip for the cue.