Volumetric Translucent Shadows too dark and flicker.

Hello.

I was trying to setup a scene with laboratory glassware on a table, and thought it was weird that everything casts shadow from the nearby lamb, except for all the glassware. So I enabled volumetric translucent shadows for everything.

Unfortunately, the result looks awful. The shadows are too dark, as if there objects were opaque. And on top of that, they flicker whenever I move the camera. And go invisible when I hit “play”.

My meshes for glassware are modelled from the inside as well. I guess that’s what causes shadows to be so dark. But I experimented with importing a mesh with removed inside. And while the shadow looks better, it still flickers a lot.

Googling this issue, I stumbled upon some bug reports dating as far back as 2016. But that’s about it.

The light source is set to movable.

Looking for any advice on this situation!

A weird thing I discovered.

If I switch the light source to static, build the light, and then swap it back to movable, shadows become much much better:

There’s still flicker, but it’s far less noticeable

1 Like

The translucent shadows you made are some of the best I’ve ever seen! Please tell me how to create a translucent shadow. No matter how I set it, my translucency still has no shadow at all.