Volumetric light ghost trail issue (still no fix for it?)

Hello,
I have a character walking in a foggy scene with a flashlight. Both the character (hence the flashlight) and the camera are moving independently.

The scene is using volumetric fog and the light emitted by the flashlight has “Cast Volumetric Shadows” enabled and a positive value for “Volumetric Scattering Intensity”.

The flashlight technically casts volumetric lights, however, as other uses have pointed out in the past (i tracked this back to 2017), the flashlight light leaves a ghost trail as it moves around.

As others have suggested, i tweaked the following values, which got rid of the trailing at the cost of introducing other issues and glitches:

r.VolumetricFog.HistoryWeight .02
r.VolumetricFog.TemporalReprojection 0
r.VolumetricFog.GridPixelSize 2

Did anyone find an actual solution to this issue or all i am left with is with faking the volumetric light with other techniques?

Thanks for your help!

1 Like

Sad that no one seems to know what to do to help mitigate this…

1 Like

It is absolutely ridiculous that no solution has been offered for this problem that has been going on for years.

1 Like

This is just a limitation with the way that it works. There will likely never be a solution.

It is possible to write your own raymarching material in order to get better results (FluidNinja for example does this) but going down this road comes with its own limitations, mostly in performance cost.