Volumetric Fog Question (Why does this happen?)

Why is this happening with Volumetric Fog? I’ve watched sever of the Live Training videos on VF , but i haven’t been able to find a solution. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

https://i.imgur.com/mfO4T5G.gif

What is causing the fog to “wash” over the screen? The Ideal result would be just having the light shafts visible.

I don’t really have an answer for you other then - the fog would look exactly like that if you change your view angle and the fog went all the way up to the top of the cave.

Why not reduce the height of the fog and add real light shafts (copy from content examples, since you seem to be dealing with fixed lighting).

also, worth a check. Disable eye adaptation.
it could be that because your eye adaptation is getting brighter as you look away from the sun the fog is looking more white then when you look towards the light source.

Hmm, I’ve been thinking about your suggestion (of adding lightshafts manually). It’s honestly not hard to do. I was just really trying to see if i could replicate the effect using fog. The lighting is dynamic, but I’m sure i can match rotation between them using blueprints or something. I am a little dissapointed i wasn’t able to match the quality of some of the Unreal Content Examples. But hey, you win some, you loose some. :slight_smile:

Thanks for your response!

EDIT: I even tried making it with volumetric particles, which ended up providing a good result from all angles. But my particle system knowledge could definitely be brushed up on lol

Are you sure the light shafts feature isn’t enabled in the lights? That would make more sense, the light shafts effect can only work if you’re looking the right direction. What could be happening is that the light shafts is what you’re seeing for the most part and your volumetric fog needs to be adjusted more

Yes I have disabled the Light Shafts from the directional light. I remember during one of the tutorials the presenter mentioning that this was a Screen Space effect. So it’s not what i want. But I will continue messing with the volumetric fog settings. I did run across something interesting though. I have to have my Fog density set to something ridiculously low (think 0.00002) in order to get just the right amount. Maybe i need to lower the position of the Fog actor itself so that i can increase the density proportionally? idk. But I was able to get a semi-satisfying result.