VK_ERROR_DEVICE_LOST

Hi. Since using UE 4.26, I have been experiencing this problem:

VK_ERROR_DEVICE_LOST

LogVulkanRHI: Error: VulkanRHI::vkQueueSubmit(Queue, 1, &SubmitInfo, Fence->GetHandle()) failed, VkResult=-4 at /home/user/UnrealEngine/Engine/Source/Runtime/VulkanRHI/Private/VulkanQueue.cpp:71 with error VK_ERROR_DEVICE_LOST Fatal error: [File:/home/user/UnrealEngine/Engine/Source/Runtime/VulkanRHI/Private/VulkanUtil.cpp] [Line: 803] VulkanRHI::vkQueueSubmit(Queue, 1, &SubmitInfo, Fence->GetHandle()) failed, VkResult=-4 at /home/user/UnrealEngine/Engine/Source/Runtime/VulkanRHI/Private/VulkanQueue.cpp:71 with error VK_ERROR_DEVICE_LOST Signal 11 caught. Malloc Size=65538 LargeMemoryPoolOffset=65554

The error almost always occurs right after an editor tooltip appears

Any ideas on how to fix it? Different drivers? Is my graphics card too old? I’m fine if I even have to modify the source code.

Hardware:

• Kernel Version: 5.11.4
  • Nvidia Driver Version: 460.56
  • GPU: GeForce GTX 750 Ti

Hello, that is a known issue, there is a new memory management in place that is causing these from time to time. The current workaround is to disable this.

What I did is add it to my project DefaultEngine.ini

[SystemSettings]
r.Vulkan.EnableDefrag=0

or just disable this at runtime by the same cvar (r.Vulkan.EnableDefrag). It is the best that can be done for now. They are still working on it, 4.26.1 and 4.26.2 are slightly better but still crash from time to time (with the Defrag enabled).

2 Likes

Thanks for your answer! I’ll try it for the next day or two and if it doesn’t crash, I’ll mark this as resolved.

Thanks, it worked!!! Now I can make sooo much more progress!