Vive VR multiplayer

Howdy all…
I am trying to get a very simple implementation of multiplayer in my Vr project I was looking at some cool stuff on the market place but my fear is that VR will not work with the widgets . ( like how am suppose to click on widget buttons while in VR with no mouse?) anyone know if anything off the market place would work for me? like maybe the buttons(widgets) could detect overlap events? or maybe to I use static mesh as buttons for UI . anyways and tutorials or advice would mean a ton!

Look at other VR games and how they handle User Interfaces. Analogues to real things like buttons work best, pointing at things works pretty good too.

Okay… misleading forum post title… UI has next to nothing to do with multiplayer.

You should check out the 3D widgets which come with UE4.13. You can use ray traces to click on buttons and other UI elements in VR with motion controllers. Alternatively, you can attach colliders to your motion controllers and have people bash buttons with their hands (similar to how Job Simulator does it).

@Slayemin sorry about misleading post.
I guess what I meant to to ask is could I buy something like this off the marketplace Multiplayer Lobby Kit in Blueprints - UE Marketplace
and modify it to work in VR (using colliders attached to hands) or static mesh that you push like buttons or is it best to start from scratch. I just wanted a fast way of implementing multiplayer but didnt want to waste money on project I cant use but if I could use it I would rather save the time instead of learning how to set up networking via my own BP. anyways… any advise would be great.

Thanks again

Okay, so when you say “networking”, I’m automatically thinking about serializing data, sending it down the wire to all connected clients, deserializing it, and making sure that game states are synchronized. Networking generally has next to nothing to do with VR, other than maybe something related to frame rates. Networking would predominately be a backend system. VR is a client side interface system. If you have a networked VR game, you’re talking about having a VR client which happens to be a part of a networked environment and can have interface interactions which happen to generate network traffic.

In your case, let’s take the simplest interaction: Pressing a button. Let’s say you have a button that can be pressed. Pressing that button generates an event which gets replicated across the network. Whether someone triggers that button press with a mouse click or a VR motion controller doesn’t matter. The network code will behave exactly the same.

So, what this means is that you can separate out the networking component entirely from the VR component. You can build and test your networking on a traditional monitor with mouse and keyboard, and so long as a player can interact with the same interfaces in VR, the backend behavior will be exactly the same.

My advice would be that you can’t escape the need to know about how both systems work. You need to understand both networking and UI. You can buy market place assets which do what you’re trying to accomplish, but you have to realize that all market place content is going to be a 70% solution and you have to fill in the remaining 30% (custom work).