Download

[VIVE] Quality problems...

Hello,

I need help because I have a big problem with the quality of my HTC Vive VR application. I made a 3-levels application and rendering is very very blurry and pixelated, as if the settings were too low. Contrariwise, the game “vibrate” as if the settings were too high and this creates discomfort for users…

If I increase the resolution sent in the headset, the image quality is better but the latency is too high : 2 FPS… it’s unplayable. If I lower even more the quality, the game works correctly, but only when I put all the settings (light, shadow, texture etc) on low. BUT in this case, the game is horribly blurry and hurts eyes.

Of crouse, it’s look like a hardware configuration problem. But the things that i don’t understand is that I tried many applications like the Google Earth VR Lab or other, which are applications with a lot of content and a very good quality, and my computer didn’t lags at all!

How is it possible that good quality applications work on my computer, but not the ones that i do on unreal? Did I miss a setting somewhere?

Thanks in advance if you have some clues…

Not one setting, my guess is that you miss on whole subject that is optimizing. Unreal does a lot for you in that departament, but you need help it.
Read about UNreal + optimization. Even old tutorials and articles for UT3 and UDK still (mostly) apply.

My first bet is that you abused movable and dynamic lights. Turn ALL lights into static then rebuild geometry + lights.
Then check particle effects those little buggers can eat fps like no tomorrow
Then check physics objects and collision, for eg, my awsym minigun that creates 240 empty casings per minute makes game unplayeable after about 2 minutes.

And research optimization.

Hello Nawrot, thank you for your reply!

I’m new on Unreal and starting with VR isn’t the simplest, sorry.

I read some documentation about VR optimization and I have made some changes. Like you said, I had to limit my scenes to static lights (stationary didn’t work), but also limit materials with roughness and remove asset that used transparent glass material. But I think the biggest change took place when I checked the box “Foward renderer”: it’s much better now!

It’s hard to think in terms of optimization from the begining when you’re not familiar with it.

My app is acceptable now, I improved from vibrate images with a r.screenPercentage to 160 to a fluid image withe a r.screenPercentage to 230, which greatly improved the quality ! I think the next step to improve it will be a hardware upgrade ^^

Thank a lot !