Visual Studio freezes on breakpoint

Problem

So for a while now I’ve been having this issues where Visual Studio will randomly freeze / lockup when it hits a breakpoint.

Details

This locks up both Visual Studio and the UE4Editor.exe; then I have to force shutdown Visual Studio and restart everything. It doesn’t matter which kind of breakpoint or on what kind of code. It freezes about 70% of the time. Even If I know the code executes fine. Sometimes I just want to view a variable!

This issues has been plaguing me for quite a while and I really just want the debugger to work reliably for once!

Things of note

The project began in 4.0 or 4.1 and has been converted to each new build successfully to 4.7.6 [I don’t think this is the problem]

I’ve tried command line builds [-game -debug -vadebug ] and then attaching the debugger with no better results.

I’ve tried both DebugGame and Development Editor builds, with no luck.

Hello, Oliver

Have you tried regenerating project files from .uproject file and rebuilding the project?
Also, have you fixed compile time warnings during project’s conversion for deprecated keywords/functions?

Hi,

I have deleted Binaries, Saved, and Intermediate, regenerated project files from .uproject file and rebuilt the project. That has offered some luck, but it’s short lived it seems. The system usually freezes at a random time later.

I also Have 0 deprecation and warning messages. I fully upgrade all api calls as soon as I see them.

I’ll try again soon and see how long it take for the freeze to occur.

Run visual studio as Administrator and it will no longer freeze. I believe it’s trying to access something on the disk it does not have permission to read/write, but this seems to fix it for me. As a not it only happens as the project gets more complex in code base.