Visual Studio 2013 Ultimate crashes upon opening and Unreal project

Hi,
I’ve been experiencing an issue where Visual studio crashes every time I try to open a C++ project created with UE4. This happens both when launching Visual Studio from within the Unreal editor using “open project” and when launching Visual Studio by itself and trying to open an Unreal project. The project I’m trying to open is just a basic code C++ project created through the editor. I get to the point where Visual Studio is initializing the project and the just a hard crash.

I’m using Unreal Engine 4.6 (downloaded through the launcher) and Visual Studio 2013 Ultimate with update 4 installed. I do have Visual Studio 2012 installed as well for other work stuff but I do see that it is the 2013 version that is being launched.

I looked in the ActivityLog.xml that gets generated and the two instances marked error are:

<entry>
    <record>692</record>
    <time>2014/12/05 17:54:58.290</time>
    <type>Error</type>
    <source>Extension Manager</source>
    <description>Extension will not be loaded because an extension with the same ID &apos;Microsoft.Windows.DevelopmentKit.Desktop&apos; is already loaded at C:\PROGRAM FILES (X86)\COMMON FILES\MICROSOFT\EXTENSIONMANAGER\EXTENSIONS\MICROSOFT\WINDOWS KITS\8.0\DESKTOP SDK\...</description>
    <path>C:\PROGRAM FILES (X86)\COMMON FILES\MICROSOFT\EXTENSIONMANAGER\EXTENSIONS\MICROSOFT\WINDOWS KITS\8.1\DESKTOP SDK\</path>
  </entry>
  <entry>
    <record>693</record>
    <time>2014/12/05 17:54:58.293</time>
    <type>Error</type>
    <source>Extension Manager</source>
    <description>Extension will not be loaded because an extension with the same ID &apos;Microsoft.WinJS&apos; is already loaded at C:\PROGRAM FILES (X86)\MICROSOFT SDKS\WINDOWS\V8.0\EXTENSIONSDKS\MICROSOFT.WINJS.SHARED\VSIX\...</description>
    <path>C:\PROGRAM FILES (X86)\MICROSOFT SDKS\WINDOWS\V8.1\EXTENSIONSDKS\MICROSOFT.WINJS.SHARED\VSIX\</path>
  </entry>

Anyone have any insight as to what could be causing this?

Hi Martin_Löwgren,

Is this something that just started to occur with version 4.6? Were you able to successfully open projects in Visual Studio with earlier versions of the Engine?

Hi ,
I’ve only had a to try it using 4.5.1 and 4.6 but it does crash with both versions of the engine. I also tried using a version compiled from source on another computer but that also resulted in Visual Studio crashing. I can see that the project starts to load and the files appear in the Solution Explorer but then the program crashes.
I was also able to make the error in the activitylog go away by uninstalling the Windows SDK which I had installed a while back to use their debugging tools, but unfortunately it didn’t solve the crashing problem.

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you. I just wanted to confirm that you are not having any problems opening any other solutions or files in Visual Studio. Is this only happening with solutions for Unreal Engine 4 projects?

Hi Martin,

We have not heard back from you for a couple weeks. Do you still need assistance with this issue? I will be marking this issue as resolved for tracking purposes, but please feel free to re-open it if you still need any help.