Visual screen bugs with Android Vulkan SM5

Hello!

I’m working on a mobile game targeting Android in UE 4.26.2, with forward rendering enabled, Vulkan graphics API enabled, and Vulkan SM5 desktop rendering [Experimental] enabled.

I’m experiencing two types of visuals bugs when running on device: flashing black geometry, and randomly lit (white vertex lit?) geometry. I’ve narrowed it down to the enabling/use of the following features in my map:

• PostProcessVolume - Lens Flare
  • DirectionLight - Light Shaft Occlusion and Light Shaft Bloom
  • BP_Sky_Sphere
  • ExponentialHeightFog (volumetric enabled or not)

When all of these are disabled, the rendering bugs do not occur.

I’m testing on a Samsung S21, which has the Snapdragon 888 Adreno 660 GPU, supporting Vulkan 1.1.128. When previewing in the editor with Android Vulkan SM5 rendering preview, I don’t see the visual glitches. Then again, I’m developing on a Mac, and my graphics driver doesn’t support Vulkan so that preview mode may not work at all.

Has anyone experienced this issue before, or have any guesses or insight into what may be happening? Attached are a couple of screenshots indicating the black visual bugs on the screen.

Thank you!

,Hi
I’m sorry i cant answer your problem but can you tell how did you get Vulkan SM5 work on Android, mine keep crasing everytime when i launched the app, i have checked everything i could or maybe am i missing something important?

2 Likes

I enabled Forward Shading in my Engine - Rendering project settings, and checked Support Vulkan and Support Vulkan Desktop [Experimental] in my project Android > Build settings.

It may be the device you’re trying to test on. Not all Android devices support those graphics APIs. I am using a Samsung Galaxy S21+ with the Snapdragon 888 chip.

Execuse me, have you solved this problem? Recently I come across similar visual bugs in UE5.0.3.
I’m testing on Asus ROG Phone 5 with Vulkan SM5 enabled, which has the Snapdragon 888 Adreno 660 as well.

how do you even run sm5 on android, you can tell me, it crashes

Ok so for my personal example i had a map that caused severe bright white lights to block out everything, it was a lighting bug and when loading the level on vulcan (on my android device) it would prevent me from seeing anything. I found that deleting the “sunlight” blueprint from the level outliner worked. Post process also effected it. I will have to load tbe project back onto my phone to double check this fic for ue5.1 also keep in mind that lumen was disabled and the level doesnt force no precompute lighting.