Visible banding when using particle system and randomized size

I have defined a particle system with randomized initial size. I am using “Distribution Vector Uniform”, and am using size range of 1 to 6. I see clear banding of different sized particles, even though I think size should be random. What is causing this? Particles are spawned into a box shaped volume randomly, and if particle size is constant, there is no banding anymore.

Hey mikat -

What is the Movement Modules like in your particle system. It sort of looks like the box that you are initially spawning the particles in are moving upwards from an origin which is what is creating the banding. Could you post a screenshot of your module and details step up for this system or upload a zip of your Particle System *.uasset file?

Thank You

Eric Ketchum

I am setting movement via “Initial Velocity”, and am using random velocity up or down. I have clipped an image of the dialog here:

I exported the particle system and added it here. I have a Blueprint which controls how the particle system looks, but the banding appears without that as well. For some reason with this version banding happens in the lower segment of the particle system, see the image below.
[alt text][2]

Hey mikat -

Can you upload the *.uasset of your particle system? You can get it from your project directory’s content sub folder.

Thank You

Eric Ketchum

Hi Eric,

I’m still new to UE4, and didn’t realize I can simply copy uassets from project to project. I have attached it here.
link text

Hey mikat -

Thank You for your report. I was able to reproduce this internally and have made our engineers aware. I will keep you informed as we work on a solution to this issue, for reference, it is UE-5378

Thank You Again -

Eric Ketchum