Virtual Keyboard Quest 2, UE5.1

Does anyone know if the Virtual Keyboard works on Quest2 under UE5.1? When I activate an Editable Text Field, nothing happens. I set up project settings with Enable Improved Virtual Keyboard and Requires System Keyboard. This required me to activate the OculusVR plugin (the MetaXR one doesn’t run on UE5.1 yet). I tried all the XR API options, but nothing seemed to change noticeably.

I’m not even sure it works.

1 Like

Yep, I have it running in my project and working fine. To see it actually working however, you need to have built the project to android then click on the text field. Because its an android OS thing, it wont load through the windows VR preview in engine or the windows build.

One thing I will mention, on the oculus website they show you how to hide the hands (as you will get an extra pair because the engine pauses and the OS of the quest gives you another pair) make sure you use the node “Get VR focus state” and use the “Has Focus” part of it instead of using the one given by Oculus “Has Focus Input”. No matter what I tried, that function didnt work for me at all, but the other works perfectly fine.

You shouldn’t need any other settings other than those two :slight_smile:
Heres the links to the Oculus things if you didnt already have them or for anyone else interested!

3 Likes

Strange, because after packaging, my apk doesn’t contain the ‘oculus.software.overlay_keyboard’ in the Manifest (even when enabling Plugins > OculusVR>Requires System Keyboard). Was there anything you did with the Manifest file in some way?

So it seems the Requires System Keyboard part doesn’t work unless you add a ‘ManifestRequirementsOverride.txt’ to your projects Build\Android folder. Also, you may need to delete the content of Intermediate\Android for your project.

The ‘ManifestRequirementsOverride.txt’ file should contain the following:

<uses-feature android:name="oculus.software.overlay_keyboard" android:required="false"/>

The keyboard then shows up; maybe Epic will fix the button in ‘Project Settings/Android’
in a few years, but for now, here’s another workaround.

3 Likes

Thanks for starting this thread with up to date info. Very helpful info but having problems on Quest2. Did a Android build and Installed .apk through MQuest Developer Hub so it’s not packaged with the Manifest txt file. Is there a different way i should be using?

The Manifest file is inside the .apk, you can change the name of the .apk to .zip and unzip it to view the files within it.

Hi, I’ve recently migrated my project Quest 2 from UE4.27 to UE5.1 and had this same issue. I followed the solution on this ticket to add a ‘ManifestRequirementsOverride.txt’ file adding the keyboard. This solution does work to add the keyboard, however the app will crash when trying to connect to a dedicated server. I am connecting with a console command blueprint node - ‘open xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx’. The only difference between the non crashing and the crashing build is this file. Has anyone encountered this with the keyboard or manifest override text file? Thanks

In UE 5.4.4 the line

<uses-feature android:name="oculus.software.overlay_keyboard" android:required="false" __line="287" />

is inserted automatically into the AndroidManifest. But I still can’t get the virtual keyboard when I click on textedit. In 4.27 it worked.

Anyone else have this problem on engine version 5.4.4?