Viewport setting: "unreal flight camera control type" is not working

For around 9 years I have been using basically all version of Unreal Engine - with the setting “use WASD for camera controls” until I installed 5.8 and this suddenly stopped working. It is not possible to use the WASD controls without clicking in the viewport any longer even with this setting on. My colleagues are experiencing the same thing. its on a fresh install of the 5.8.1 engine and opening whatever new project. I have not mapped WASD to anything in shortcuts. it sounds niddy griddy but basically I can’t work like this due to my setup with wacom pad and the 9 year habit of controlling the camera.

what I have tried after hours of searching the web and talking with Gemini:

  • resetting all settings by deleting the ini files in config folders
  • exporting my viewport settings and shortcut settings from 5.6 (where it works fine) and importing them in 5.8
  • tried various options for input and mouse settings
  • closing all 3rd party software that could potentially eat the focus of my keyboard
  • ensured that no “sequencer” window or any other unreal window is running
  • checked my camera speed is fine
  • for fun just tried the setting “never use WASD for camera controls” which ALSO does nothing. it seems the setting is not working at all.

The setting simply seems broken. Please help

Steps to Reproduce

  1. open a fresh project on 5.8.1 engine
  2. go to editor preferences-> viewport settings-> unreal flight camera control type -> use WASD for camera controls
  3. observe that the viewport camera does not move on WASD, unless you press a mouse button

[SOLVED]

The issue is “solved” by enabling the legacy gizmo in the viewport.

It is still an engine bug that needs to be fixed with the new gizmo I suppose?

another issue I noticed with the new gizmo is that it was hard to select things with the Wacom pad. sometimes I had to click on an actor 4-5 times to select it. very frustrating. probably needs to be fixed if the plan is to remove the legacy gizmo in 6.0

yet another bug - the marquee selection setting called “window” (before called strict box selection) only works with the new gizmo enabled.

The marquee setting is expected behavior.

I will look into the flight control setting and see what can be done.