[VIDEO] (NEW UPDATE #2!) RTS (Real-Time Strategy) Example using Blueprints only.

Another screenshot. Added a lot of functionality’s since last release.

1: Added Coherent-UI
2: Added Tooltips
3: Resource Handling
4: Grid placement
And many more…

NOTE: That overlay texture is from DOTA. Am using it as a placeholder only. :slight_smile:

Very nice :slight_smile: coming along nicely.

Do you plan to add ‘squad’ control? (think Company of Heroes infantry control), basically, having multiple units controlled as one group, allowing for several groups to be selected and controlled at once.

[=Anthony;95066]
Very nice :slight_smile: coming along nicely.

Do you plan to add ‘squad’ control? (think Company of Heroes infantry control), basically, having multiple units controlled as one group, allowing for several groups to be selected and controlled at once.
[/]

Hi Anthony. Very sorry for delayed response (Having trouble with Internet connection).

With the current setup i have group selection is not possible. I have this in my wishlist but since the last update (#3) i have plans to make an Android game out of this so i dont think i might add support for group selection.

[=ryanjon2040;108671]
Hi Anthony. Very sorry for delayed response (Having trouble with Internet connection).

With the current setup i have group selection is not possible. I have this in my wishlist but since the last update (#3) i have plans to make an Android game out of this so i dont think i might add support for group selection.
[/]

what did you use to make the UI? I’ve been messing around with UMG and it causes my mouse to stop working. How did you do it?

[=Valkon;109726]
what did you use to make the UI? I’ve been messing around with UMG and it causes my mouse to stop working. How did you do it?
[/]

Coherent-UI :slight_smile:

[=ryanjon2040;109804]
Coherent-UI :slight_smile:
[/]

I made a UI using UMG. Seems like a powerful tool, but I don’t know how to spawn events from it XD

[=Valkon;110011]
I made a UI using UMG. Seems like a powerful tool, but I don’t know how to spawn events from it XD
[/]

I have never tried UMG since it is in its very early stage.

Btw did you start using C++ or is it still all blueprints only? I have a good knowledge of C++, but there are too many functions and variables in Unreal engine 4 C++ that I need to know and there is no way to access all of them at the same time that’s why I use blueprints. How did you learn Unreal Engine C++ if you did? XD

[=Valkon;110332]
Btw did you start using C++ or is it still all blueprints only? I have a good knowledge of C++, but there are too many functions and variables in Unreal engine 4 C++ that I need to know and there is no way to access all of them at the same time that’s why I use blueprints. How did you learn Unreal Engine C++ if you did? XD
[/]

Nope…I dont use C++ at all. This project is 100% completely Blueprints only and will stay that way. :slight_smile:

I have a couple of questions. How did you convert mouse selection box from HUD to world location without getting an offset? http://i.imgur.com/jjoCpqv.jpg

When you’re building how did you get the gray building that gets replaced by the construction location and building goes up…

[=Valkon;114648]
I have a couple of questions. How did you convert mouse selection box from HUD to world location without getting an offset? http://i.imgur.com/jjoCpqv.jpg
[/]

Well…My HUD only draws the selection HUD. It dont select anything in world as i havent added that functionality yet.

[=Valkon;114648]
When you’re building how did you get the gray building that gets replaced by the construction location and building goes up…

In HUD i added Get Player Controller node and i connected Convert World Position to Screen and multiplied that with a large number (IIRC it was around 1500 or 2000). Using that i spawn a static mesh and when user click is detected i spawn a new static mesh at preview location and destroy the preview mesh. The build up is using Timers with swapping of various static meshes.

[=ryanjon2040;114653]
Well…My HUD only draws the selection HUD. It dont select anything in world as i havent added that functionality yet.

[=Valkon;114648]

In HUD i added Get Player Controller node and i connected Convert World Position to Screen and multiplied that with a large number (IIRC it was around 1500 or 2000). Using that i spawn a static mesh and when user click is detected i spawn a new static mesh at preview location and destroy the preview mesh. The build up is using Timers with swapping of various static meshes.
[/]

I was able to create a simple RTS selection box. Here is the bp http://i.imgur.com/83cy7fT.png . I tried deprojecting into the world, but there is a huge offset that I don’t know how to solve. How would you do it? Convert screen location to world space gives a really big offset.

[=Valkon;114657]
I was able to create a simple RTS selection box. Here is the bp http://i.imgur.com/83cy7fT.png . I tried deprojecting into the world, but there is a huge offset that I don’t know how to solve. How would you do it? Convert screen location to world space gives a really big offset.
[/]

If you dont mind, can you send me that project (if its not big in size)? Of-course you can remove all the maps. I only want to play with that HUD. My RTS Project doesnt open due to this bug. :frowning:

Hi,

i was wondering why no one asked this before, maybe I missed something but…

how exactly did you set up this camera movement.
i can not figure this out myself, it seems to me that the player in ue4 has to have a mash attached.

thx in advance

Hi,

i was wondering why no one asked this before, maybe I missed something but…

how exactly did you set up this camera movement.
i can not figure this out myself, it seems to me that the player in ue4 has to have a mash attached.

thx in advance

Are there any news?

I would love to see some progress on this especially if it can be ported to the latest Unreal Engine.