Video memory has been exhausted

I’m afraid this appears to work only because Default as Default RHI means it’s using DirectX 11 which disables Nanite, which seems to be the thing causing this issue.

1 Like

hi yes, it is a pain when you select DX12. It goes back to 30 FPS

Yep, and if you try your settings and check any Nanite visualization, you’ll see they don’t work, which means it’s disabled. It only works if default RHI is set to DirectX 12, anything else doesn’t matter, not even the ticks below it. Not sure what they are for.

Hi @Jimbohalo10, you are welcome. I think it needs DirectX 12 Ultimate to solve this issue besides other issues (like the missing Vertexshader Layer support). Unfortunately, most old Nvidia cards (mine is GeForce GT 740M) are not supported.

DirectX 12 Ultimate is the newest version of DirectX.

DirectX 12 Ultimate in Windows 11 provides new features like ray tracing, variable rate shading, mesh shaders, and sampler feedback.

DirectX 12 Ultimate requirements:

Currently, only the GeForce RTX series graphics PCs support the DirectX 12 Ultimate gaming features.

DirectX 12 Ultimate supported graphics cards: GeForce RTX 3090, 3080 (Ti), 3070 (Ti), 3060 (Ti), RTX 30/20 series laptops, TITAN RTX, 2080 (Ti), 2080 Super, 2070 (Ti), 2070 Super, 2060, 2060 Super.

hi @hale326 , @Shabayek841,
I went back to 4.27 and made a blank project (two chairs).
In the project setting,>Platform->Windows set the Default RHI to Directx 12 in 4.27 settings.
Save all and Exit 4.27.
Open UE5.0 and import the 4.27 blank project. All the Shaders are now built with Directx DX12.

When the UE Editor opens for less than a second the Video memory exhausted message appeared then disappeared. Leaving Sky shaders to be built.

I went into content manager and filtered for Static Mesh. Control +A to select all the Selected Nanite → Enable as a batch Nanite Mesh build.
Click the green start arrow and typed Stat FPS command in Console Box and I got over 70 frames per second.

This worked fine. I enable Lumen with Nanite I get a Video memory exhausted message that appeared 6GB over budget!.
Finally removed Lumen=none and the Video memory exhausted message went away, which explains where we are with graphics cards with 2GB memory. I have an Nvidia GTX 1050.

So it would seem that importing the Directx DX12 project from 4.27 works and you can enable Nanite as it’s running DX12 even though the message shows, that you are around over budget by 0.25GB, looking at Windows Task manager there running at 1.6GB of 2.0GB, but a native 5.0 project gives video memory exhausted message because on a native 5.0 built project with DX12 Lumen is enabled in high definition.
Turn off Lumen and the project runs with Nanite at 60 to 70 FPS.

2 Likes

This actually seems quite like a big problem, I hope the staff sees this because (If Im not mistaking) Nanite and Lumen work way better if both are being used at the same time.
Setting RHI to DirectX 11 will disable Nanite, so for people that want to use both this is a bad option.
Sacrificing one doesnt really seem a good choice, since both are really powerful.
If it is just the fact that some Nvidia cards dont support Lumen as @Shabayek841 said, then thats ok, but if this problem is not related to that, we will need the staff to address this issue in the future UE5 updates.

3 Likes

Same issue here, in both Early Access and with Stable release.
I hoped it to be an Early Access issue.
Reinstalled UE5.

I am new to Unreal Engine, picking it up as a new hobby.

The error message appears when I use Nanite and Lumen.
Couldn’t do much testing due to inexperience.
Tried the suggested solutions, but error remains.
I see FPS drop to <10fps or so, and the engine becomes sluggish and unworkable.

My setup:
Intel I5 10th Gen
16GB RAM
Nvidia GTX970
WHQL driver v511.79 (as suggested by UE, I updated yesterday)

Suggestions are welcome, but I think only staff can fix this?
If you need information, let me know which and I’ll try to supply it.

1 Like

Did you or anyone else submit this as a formal bug report

I don’t think praying the staff randomly sees will be a productive way to get it resolved, at least for the moment there has been not response on this

2 Likes

I would do it myself but Im trying to replicate the issues in a blank project and for some minutes I was able to at least feel the fps drops caused by lumen but then the fps drops stopped and now its working fine at full 60fps on a blank project. I was not able to replicate the Video Memory Exhaustion on a blank project.
However in my game prototype project which was migrated from ue4 to ue5 and has the same project settings, Lumen seems to be afffecting my fps and I also am getting the Memory Exhaustion problem, but if I turn off Lumen it goes back to 60 fps.
Perhaps a person that can replicate the Lumen Fps Drop issue and the Video Memory Exhaustion issue on a blank project can share the file so we can put it in the Bug Submission Form.

Perhaps a person that can replicate the Lumen Fps Drop issue and the Video Memory Exhaustion issue on a blank project can share the file so we can put it in the Bug Submission Form.

This would be awesome and the probable way to get it resolved for real

1 Like

Anyone that has Video Memory Exhaustion and Fps Drops due to Lumen And Nanite on a BLANK PROJECT, please pick your Folder that has your blank project with the issues, upload it to your own Google Drive, and post the link here so we can send it to the staff as proof that it is a bug.
Also just to be sure, post your setup components here, like your graphics card, your cpu, etc.

If you want to report the bug yourself and you know how to reproduce the bug, go here and fill in the form: Unreal Engine Community

Try to put the link of this forum in case the staff needs more information or proof that is happening on multiple devices.

If you know and have everything listed above, go to the link and fill the form, it takes like 5min.

7.9K people saw this post and around 30 people have complained about it so we might at least try to get some answers here, or else the problem will more likely persist.

Dont want sound bossy or anything, Im just trying to help.

1 Like

This issue just occurred for me as well. Surprisingly though, after I closed the project and reopened it a few minutes later…the problem wasn’t there. Really weird.

1 Like

In fact when you create a blank new Blueprint project with latest UE 5.0.1, this is present by default in DefaultEngine.ini:

[/Script/WindowsTargetPlatform.WindowsTargetSettings]
DefaultGraphicsRHI=DefaultGraphicsRHI_DX12

Hi guys. I was facing something similar, wherein my gpu usage would spike to 100 in ue5, even on a blank scene, with no content. Tried disabling lumen GI, and a bunch of things, but what finally worked for me was setting “Fixed Frame Rate” in the project settings to True, and keeping a relatively low fps, proportional to what your system can handle. 30-60 should be enough for dev either way : ) hope this helps!

Getting same issue in a relatively simple scene. Fps seems mostly ok but notice i get big drops in performance when clinking between editor and viewport controls fairly often. The memory issue appears shortly after opening the project.

Im wondering if it may also be caused by the new aa upsampling/sharpening as well?

Could anyone DL and open this project and see what happens?

Project contains multiple maps, but the 2 levels (maps) I work in are called Clifftown*
It’s a simple tutorial/selftraining project.

I noticed when I created a blank level and added the landscape, the error message began appearing:

opening new project triggers the error message as well:

NOTE: I can’t find an “exhausted” bug on https://issues.unrealengine.com/

First sorry for my English. I have the same issue with the video memory and ill try everything says in this threath, and nothing work.

In my case changing the Anti-Aliasing method to TSR and the MSAA sample counts to 2x solves the problem. At the moment…

2 Likes

I got this warning/error today while working on a scene in Unreal 5, but I closed the editor and used ctrl+win+shift+b on Windows to discard the desktop surface buffer and recreate the allocation from DWM. The warning was gone.

2 Likes

Changing to DirectX11 solves the problem. In project settings (UE5.0.1)

1 Like

It solves the problem because it disables nanite completly tho, I dont know about Lumen. All I know is that Nanite has a problem with Lumen if they work together.

Also other thing to note is that, if you minimize your Unreal engine window and go to google and do your own research and spend some time doing it, you will come back to the Unreal engine window and to some people it will cause Memory Exhaustion and cause another bug that will ask you to save 20 versions of your map before you close your project.

I only found 1 post about the last bug and theres already plenty of people with that problem too, so if anyone doesnt have problems with memory exhaustion while on the editor but then you guys minimized your Unreal engine window and you got the Memory Exhaustion then Lumen and Nanite are most probably not your problem.

3 Likes