VICODynamics: a particle based Soft-Body physics Plugin

First off, really cool game project! I love tank games myself, especially simulations.

As of right now, this system would not be ideal for making tracks. But it can be modified to do so. Also the big reason why we give complete source access to licensees.

For all of your questions: yes, but not without modifying the simulation/collision code.
As for looping: Of course! This can be done very easily.

Quick update: Heard back from the Marketplace team and the plugin is in review finally. Once that is completed we should be on the Marketplace shortly after!

Also, there has been a lack of new demos and features lately. This is due to a few things: most importantly, Iā€™m going through a stability pass in VICODynamics to improve the constraint solver and the collision solver. In addition to that, we recently ran a Steam Greenlight campaign for our game and that took a lot of my time.

In short, you should be seeing more things progressing here very soon.

Hey amazing stuff here, Iā€™ve been looking for a way to not use Nvidias Cloth and this seems like a good solution however, will this work with Xbox One and PS4?

Edit: Nevermind the site says it runs on console!

Want to let you guys know that the project is not ā€œdead,ā€ I will soon have a bit of news to share. Iā€™m currently working with Epic to have this plugin be one of the first C++ plugins on the marketplace. Stay tuned!

I have paused work on the plugin for now to help Epic out with a stable build for release.

Great News VICO!

Thatā€™s awesome? Is there an ETA? I wanted to try it out, but all of your links are dead.

-S

Thank you for letting me know about the links, I must have broken something on the server while testing a couple things. Links should be back up now.

As for an ETA; that is all up to Epic. If I had the say on ETA, it would have been out in September. Epic is making a bunch of changes to support C++ plugins which has delayed things quite a bit. As soon as I have a solid ETA, Iā€™ll post it here.

Hey guys, anyone have news on the plugin?

O tried contact with the author by email and Skype but didnā€™t have any reply.

I am curious how it compares to FLEX in performance! Any feedback?

thanks!

Iā€™m looking forward to this one.

Hi alexandregomes,

Got back to you via email.

How are the features coming along? Cloth and Softbodies? If they are implememted, I consider buying it now!

Took the time this weekend to start on the brand new collision algorithm and boy is it already looking good!

This is a little preview from within my test app for this library, which I simplified to 2D rendering for quick testings sake.

As you can see, collision response and detection is a lot more accurate between particles and accounts for restitution and friction! But youā€™ll notice that some particles slip through the gaps at the bottom under heavy load. This is due to stretching which creates gaps between the ropes particles. To fix this, I came up with a solution which will essentially create a cylinder between two connected rope particles to fill in the gaps. Iā€™ll be demoing that soon. After that is done, Iā€™ll be adding proper tetrahedral collision detection to use with cloth and soft-bodies.

Btw, fluid simulation is only missing one constraint type!

I hope the above gives you some idea of where the system is at. If you have any more question; just let me know.

Excellent work and impressive that you did it from scratch by yourself! Epic should hire you!

Thank you very much!

Quick question.

will this plugin work on a mac?

Thanks

The plugin itself will work on any platform, it will just need the Physics Library binaries built for Mac. I have not done so yet, mainly because my mac has been picking up dust for over a year now and will need a lot of updates before being viable for builds. With that said, I will try my best to get this sorted sooner rather then later. Iā€™ll let you know here once Mac binaries are ready to go.

Hi everyone,

It has been very quite for the last few months, mainly due to being swamped with game projects, both in-house and contracts. I do have some good news though:

First off; Mac binaries are built, tested and in the repo!
Second; got an email from Epic that they are finally testing the plugin for Marketplace review! Hopefully soon itā€™ll be up on the Marketplace.

Great news! any news on cloth/soft bodies? will this be in the release?
Thanks

Well, yes and no. There is nothing stopping you from creating cloth and setting up your own component to render it. But I still need to change the way collision is handled for better cloth interaction. Same goes for soft bodies plus they need an additional Volume Constraint type for keeping their shape better. The latter will come in a future update.

Hi,

Any news on the plug-in?

I tried contacting you through e-mail about purchasing and info.
Can you get back to me please?