VERY unstable

[=;200398]
yeah? Leave it there until it dies or I give up? don’t bother . I will give it a new go and see if it’s going to do the same thing again. If it does will have to unsub unfortunately. I love the system but I left CryEngine, after more than a year, because of the same reason, crashes on simple prototype game.
[/]

Hi ,

I’m sorry you’re seeing these issues and we are more than glad to help as well. I understand the frustration that not all question on AnswerHub will be answered by the support team or Epic staff, but those that are crashes and bugs that are posted in the bug reports section and the installation and setup section take priority. These are assigned out daily during our work week and typically see a quick response and resolve rate. While the resolution may not always solve your problem immediately, especially if it’s a bug that needs developer attention, we do strive to do our best to get you back to developing your projects and games.

We do request a lot of issues to be posted on AnswerHub because they can be assigned to one of the support staff and we can track the issues progress more readily.

Thank you!

[=;200422]
I guarantee you it wont die and will be investigated, just like every other crash/bug report posted on the site. I was planning on following its progress personally due to an I ran into yesterday.

I had nearly the same after adding in assets I downloaded from the Community Content forum, I launched the engine and it started eating up ram at an alarming rate (1gb ram every 5 seconds) until it eventually ran out of memory and crashed. I have a feeling it was caused by assets that were created in a different version of the editor, but I need to confirm that with the creator of the assets first (these were just a couple of materials and textures).

If you did something similar to that, I would find the assets and remove them from the content folder, then try launching the engine again. fixed my but once I get more info I will be posting it on AnswerHub for Epic to investigate.
[/]

Hey ,

I’m curious about with the ram being eaten up like that. Would you mind linking the AnswerHub post if you’ve made one? Also, you mentioned the asset that provoked was available in the community content section. Can you provide a link to that post as well. seems extremely odd that an asset is causing the ram to increase that much that rapidly.

Thanks!

[=;200436]
Hey ,

I’m curious about with the ram being eaten up like that. Would you mind linking the AnswerHub post if you’ve made one? Also, you mentioned the asset that provoked was available in the community content section. Can you provide a link to that post as well. seems extremely odd that an asset is causing the ram to increase that much that rapidly.

Thanks!

[/]

Hey !

Yeah I was pretty shocked to see it happen, never seen anything like it up until now. I sent a message to the creator of the assets a few minutes ago, but have not heard back yet. The assets don’t show up in the Content Browser at all, just the folders, and the RAM usage is going up while “Discovering Assets”.

I will post an AnswerHub report shortly and leave the link here for you. I wanted to have all the info first, but you can find the assets here:
https://forums.unrealengine/showthread.php?55545--Material-For-Procedural-Workflow

Loading them in on version 4.6.1 (from the launcher build of the engine) in my project causes it to happen, I’ll put together a full report on it asap.

Thanks! :slight_smile:

[=;200444]
Hey !

Yeah I was pretty shocked to see it happen, never seen anything like it up until now. I sent a message to the creator of the assets a few minutes ago, but have not heard back yet. The assets don’t show up in the Content Browser at all, just the folders, and the RAM usage is going up while “Discovering Assets”.

I will post an AnswerHub report shortly and leave the link here for you. I wanted to have all the info first, but you can find the assets here:
https://forums.unrealengine/showthread.php?55545--Material-For-Procedural-Workflow

Loading them in on version 4.6.1 (from the launcher build of the engine) in my project causes it to happen, I’ll put together a full report on it asap.

Thanks! :slight_smile:
[/]

Awesome! Thanks, !

I’ll take a look at it when I’m back in the office on Monday. I did have the editor freeze while discovering assets the other day. I inadvertently migrated some content from a newer build to an older build project. I didn’t look at the memory usage and force closed the editor.

Thanks for getting back to me!

Did get fixed? I renamed and moved some assets today in order for the names to conform to our team’s naming convention, and now I have the same bug - editor crashes on start, trying to allocate 18446744073709551614 bytes (17179869184 GB).alotofbytes.png

My suggestion is to never refactor anything. Most of my blueprints do not open issues resulted because of renames or changing something from a class to a struct or vice versa. I’ve noticed the rename stuff has gotten better but their are still issues. There needs to be a method or tool for refactoring that accounts for c++ code and blueprints at the same time.

The only solutions I’ve found is either reverting the code or rebuilding the blueprint. Unfortunately :frowning:

There are a number of refactoring tools possible via your DefaultEngine.ini file that allow most types of C++ class, function, or variable moves or renames to be handled gracefully in Blueprints, but it sounds like CodeSpartan’s is moving assets not C++ code.

@CodeSpartan: Did you move files in the editor via Content Browser or did you do it via Explorer/Finder? It is generally unsafe to move .uasset files around outside of Unreal, as the asset references will be broken. If you do it in the editor, it will leave behind object redirector assets for anything unloaded that couldn’t be fixed up to follow. You can then fix up those redirectors to get rid of the tiny .uasset files that contain them after you are done resaving other content that was referencing them. However, ideally a broken asset reference still shouldn’t crash any of our built in types, so the icky serialization crash you posted above sounds like a real bug.

Cheers,

As said, the crash itself is definitely a bug and you should be getting a warning message instead. If you go to the answerhub and post a bug report with the log file from the crash, we can investigate the root cause and have it fixed. Please link us to your answerhub post so that we can have it looked into asap

Thanks for the quick response!

[]
@CodeSpartan: Did you move files in the editor via Content Browser or did you do it via Explorer/Finder?
[/]

Only from within the editor.

[]
it sounds like CodeSpartan’s is moving assets not C++ code.
[/]

yes, only some assets were renamed/moved, not any of the C++ code

AnswerHub post with a log file: https://answers.unrealengine/questions/174245/editor-crashes-on-start-trying-to-allocate-way-too.html

[=CodeSpartan;223546]
Thanks for the quick response!

Only from within the editor.

yes, only some assets were renamed/moved, not any of the C++ code

AnswerHub post with a log file: https://answers.unrealengine/questions/174245/editor-crashes-on-start-trying-to-allocate-way-too.html
[/]

Thank you, I’ve made sure a tech is assigned to it for creating a report

I’ve put a custom object (level) down, when i’m placing textures 4 out of 5 times it crashes with an error report. It’s driving me insane because i can’t finish a single level with happening. Getting to the point of thinking of switching engines :frowning:

[=Phoenix85;223591]
I’ve put a custom object (level) down, when i’m placing textures 4 out of 5 times it crashes with an error report. It’s driving me insane because i can’t finish a single level with happening. Getting to the point of thinking of switching engines :frowning:
[/]

Can you please file a bug report for on answers.unrealengine and also include the crash report and log file. Make sure to include details about what version you are using and the steps you take to reproduce crash.

If you post a link to it, I can make sure it gets looked into. Thanks for the report!

I was just putting down a texture on a custom object. Open a project, open a level, put down the texture then crash. Sorry if is the wrong place to post .

Unknown exception - code 00000001 (first/second not available)

Assertion failed: OptionalMaterialSlot < MaterialCount [File:E:\My Documents\Downloads\Unreal\Source\461\UnrealEngine-4.6.1-release\Engine\Source\Editor\UnrealEd\Private\AssetSelection.cpp] [Line: 756]

KERNELBASE + 51917 bytes
UE4Editor_Core!FOutputDeviceWindowsError::Serialize() + 285 bytes [e:\my documents\downloads\unreal\source\461\unrealengine-4.6.1-release\engine\source\runtime\core\private\windows\windowsplatformoutputdevices.cpp:95]
UE4Editor_Core!FOutputDevice::Logf__VA() + 248 bytes [e:\my documents\downloads\unreal\source\461\unrealengine-4.6.1-release\engine\source\runtime\core\private\misc\outputdevice.cpp:144]
UE4Editor_Core!FDebug::AssertFailed() + 1042 bytes [e:\my documents\downloads\unreal\source\461\unrealengine-4.6.1-release\engine\source\runtime\core\private\misc\outputdevice.cpp:224]
UE4Editor_UnrealEd!FActorFactoryAssetProxy::ApplyMaterialToActor() + 1075 bytes [e:\my documents\downloads\unreal\source\461\unrealengine-4.6.1-release\engine\source\editor\unrealed\private\assetselection.cpp:757]
UE4Editor_UnrealEd!AttemptApplyObjToActor() + 263 bytes [e:\my documents\downloads\unreal\source\461\unrealengine-4.6.1-release\engine\source\editor\unrealed\private\leveleditorviewport.cpp:531]
UE4Editor_UnrealEd!FLevelEditorViewportClient::DropObjectsOnActor() + 269 bytes [e:\my documents\downloads\unreal\source\461\unrealengine-4.6.1-release\engine\source\editor\unrealed\private\leveleditorviewport.cpp:830]
UE4Editor_UnrealEd!FLevelEditorViewportClient::DropObjectsAtCoordinates() + 1827 bytes [e:\my documents\downloads\unreal\source\461\unrealengine-4.6.1-release\engine\source\editor\unrealed\private\leveleditorviewport.cpp:1190]
UE4Editor_LevelEditor!SLevelViewport::HandlePlaceDraggedObjects() + 4395 bytes [e:\my documents\downloads\unreal\source\461\unrealengine-4.6.1-release\engine\source\editor\leveleditor\private\slevelviewport.cpp:758]
UE4Editor_LevelEditor!SLevelViewport::OnDrop() + 131 bytes [e:\my documents\downloads\unreal\source\461\unrealengine-4.6.1-release\engine\source\editor\leveleditor\private\slevelviewport.cpp:790]
UE4Editor_Slate!<lambda_13af6b42409306e44b4e7065f2966a1b>::operator()() + 358 bytes [e:\my documents\downloads\unreal\source\461\unrealengine-4.6.1-release\engine\source\runtime\slate\private\framework\application\slateapplication.cpp:3896]
UE4Editor_Slate!FEventRouter::Route<FReply,FEventRouter::FBubblePolicy,FPointerEvent,<lambda_13af6b42409306e44b4e7065f2966a1b> >() + 189 bytes [e:\my documents\downloads\unreal\source\461\unrealengine-4.6.1-release\engine\source\runtime\slate\private\framework\application\slateapplication.cpp:208]
UE4Editor_Slate!FSlateApplication::ProcessMouseButtonUpEvent() + 1077 bytes [e:\my documents\downloads\unreal\source\461\unrealengine-4.6.1-release\engine\source\runtime\slate\private\framework\application\slateapplication.cpp:3899]
UE4Editor_Slate!FSlateApplication::OnMouseUp() + 278 bytes [e:\my documents\downloads\unreal\source\461\unrealengine-4.6.1-release\engine\source\runtime\slate\private\framework\application\slateapplication.cpp:3821]
UE4Editor_Core!FWindowsApplication::ProcessDeferredMessage() + 3433 bytes [e:\my documents\downloads\unreal\source\461\unrealengine-4.6.1-release\engine\source\runtime\core\private\windows\windowsapplication.cpp:1361]
UE4Editor_Core!FWindowsApplication::DeferMessage() + 299 bytes [e:\my documents\downloads\unreal\source\461\unrealengine-4.6.1-release\engine\source\runtime\core\private\windows\windowsapplication.cpp:1657]
UE4Editor_Core!FWindowsApplication::ProcessMessage() + 3483 bytes [e:\my documents\downloads\unreal\source\461\unrealengine-4.6.1-release\engine\source\runtime\core\private\windows\windowsapplication.cpp:742]
UE4Editor_Core!FWindowsApplication::AppWndProc() + 98 bytes [e:\my documents\downloads\unreal\source\461\unrealengine-4.6.1-release\engine\source\runtime\core\private\windows\windowsapplication.cpp:604]
user32 + 105425 bytes
user32 + 104666 bytes
UE4Editor_Core!FWindowsPlatformMisc::PumpMessages() + 118 bytes [e:\my documents\downloads\unreal\source\461\unrealengine-4.6.1-release\engine\source\runtime\core\private\windows\windowsplatformmisc.cpp:774]
UE4Editor!FEngineLoop::Tick() + 3434 bytes [e:\my documents\downloads\unreal\source\461\unrealengine-4.6.1-release\engine\source\runtime\launch\private\launchengineloop.cpp:2193]
UE4Editor!GuardedMain() + 478 bytes [e:\my documents\downloads\unreal\source\461\unrealengine-4.6.1-release\engine\source\runtime\launch\private\launch.cpp:131]
UE4Editor!GuardedMainWrapper() + 26 bytes [e:\my documents\downloads\unreal\source\461\unrealengine-4.6.1-release\engine\source\runtime\launch\private\windows\launchwindows.cpp:126]
UE4Editor!WinMain() + 249 bytes [e:\my documents\downloads\unreal\source\461\unrealengine-4.6.1-release\engine\source\runtime\launch\private\windows\launchwindows.cpp:202]
UE4Editor!__tmainCRTStartup() + 329 bytes [f:\dd\vctools\crt\crtw32\dllstuff\crtexe.c:618]

The forums will mess up callstacks with smilies and such, so it’s best if you go to the to fill out a bug report. Include that information and also attach your log file so we can investigate it further and make sure it gets looked into.

[= ;223669]
The forums will mess up callstacks with smilies and such, so it’s best if you go to the to fill out a bug report. Include that information and also attach your log file so we can investigate it further and make sure it gets looked into.
[/]

Can’t you just post it in the (code) (/code) tags? I’m pretty sure that gets rid of smilies in the callstacks. Then again, the odd smiley is never a bad thing when your looking through lines and lines of what appears to be a foreign language :stuck_out_tongue:

[=;223677]
Can’t you just post it in the (code) (/code) tags? I’m pretty sure that gets rid of smilies in the callstacks. Then again, the odd smiley is never a bad thing when your looking through lines and lines of what appears to be a foreign language :stuck_out_tongue:
[/]

Lol, that’s a fun way of looking at it. Mostly the answerhub post will make it easier to track and keep all the information in one place to create a report

[= ;223749]
Lol, that’s a fun way of looking at it. Mostly the answerhub post will make it easier to track and keep all the information in one place to create a report
[/]

Of course! And it also allows the community to hopefully find solutions too, which is AWESOME! So much better then a private tracking system :wink:

[=;200436]
Hey ,

Thanks!

[/]

The out of memory bug seems to be a common problem with importing newer assets into 4.6.0 and possibly earlier versions of the engine. It’s a back/forwards compatibility.

[=Phoenix85;223591]
[/]

Fixed It!!! UE4 wasn’t happy with me imported a big object in .obj format. Importing in fbx fixed the problem, also cut the level up into pieces. It seems putting textures directly on the object rather than going onto the object details and changing them there helps aswell.

I also have many crashes only on editing mode, I have a macbook pro 2012 10GB RAM Nvidia 680M with 512MB, I only want to make mobile content focused on IOS but Unreal Editor is really TOO unstable at least on OS X. I’m tired of restart the editor again and again. Another thing while I have opened the editor consume 120% of the CPU making my MBP a toaster even if a don’t do nothing only with the editor opened. is really a huge disappointment, any way I WILL RETURN TO UNITY 3D.