Very low FPS

Funny you should say that because, according to Karis in the livestream, Nanite should be “even better” for VR than the traditional pipeline because Nanite can render multiple views in a single draw call.

1 Like

Actually I made a simple test… I created a new UE5 project (Early V2), then with the default map, downloaded 1 “nanite” model from Quixel, activated nanite for it, added the mesh to the scene 4 to 5 times… FPS: 35 - 37FPS… that bad (but the default map started with 40FPS), also tried lots of techniques of my own, to optimize the UE5 default scene, an there was no gain at all (even mentioned some in the previous post)… It was also odd, that Lumen is affected by the “effects scalability”… bad idea, lumen (or lights) now, should have it´s own quality scalability setting.

Since, that didn’t work… I created a new UE4.26 project (Best UE version in my opinion) and with the default scene, imported the same mesh asset from Quixel (High quality, no nanite, no lumen) added the mesh to the scene 10 times… FPS: 140-180… and I didn’t have to do anything to improve performance, If I do, I’ll get around 200 to 250 FPS.

So my decision, I will stay working with UE4.26,

framerate is that important, and there is not really such quality loss if you work wisely.

1 Like

Sadly, I haven’t tested nanite cuz my computer is that old (funny enough, though, I can use lumen, which is more expensive of than nanite, and VSMs). I have access to computers that do support nanite, but I haven’t done any test on them cuz I’m lazy. But when UE5 full release comes out, I’ll start testing it.

That may be a lumen and/or virtual shadow maps problem. Try:

1. Disabling lumen (but I’m assuming you’ve already tried that)
  2. Enabling nanite for all default static meshes if they aren’t already. The reason I say this is because, according to the docs, non-nanite meshes are more expensive to render to virtual shadow maps than nanite meshes are.

I think some people think they need to upgrade, but they don’t. If the version you have does what you need, there’s really no reason to upgrade. If a new version has something you need, then upgrade.

Many of my favorite games were built with decade-old engines, so new tech definitely isn’t needed to make a good game.

1 Like

Yeah, I already tried all, the shadow tip helped from 36FPS to 55-60FPS, thanks!

I reviewed a lot of information, videos, advice on how to improve UE5 performance, even myself with EV 1, now EV 2 tried lots of thing, but… I mean, I understand this is an Early version, but forward thinking, I wonder if starting a new project with UE5, is going to be a good idea right now, maybe I must stay with UE4.26, because I LOVE… that engine version, and most of the new features I’m 100% sure that I can fake them, less sure with lumen… but strategically thinking, it will be better to stay with UE4.26, wait for the release or maybe the entire year if necessary (2022) watch all the reviews and then move to it, because even the insights I have from game companies, comments are like, FPS is not good even in super computers, for example a person that I know has super powerful gaming PC, just the GPU is about $3,500 and Valley of the ancient is running at 50 FPS, mine is 8-12 FPS… LOL

but you know, we must trust Epic, they are the best, and I mean it with my hearth, but I think we are actually helping them by sharing all the issues we find.

2 Likes

I’ve just tried to package a very small UE5 scene on a 128MB PC with Ryzen 2950 and 2 x 2080Ti’s +SSD. The scene has:

• most settings unchanged “out of the box”
  • one large Nanite cliff mesh and one small rock mesh, both duplicated around 10 times
  • two characters from the Paragon demo
  • the built-in procedural volumetric clouds
  • a skylight and directional light

The packaged project size is 8GB, and my framerate is around 40-60 FPS and slows down dramatically depending on what’s on screen. I had a similar experience with the Valley of the Ancients demo project. Does anyone know whether to expect serious performance improvements with the full UE5 version?

2 Likes

I’m getting 2-6 fps in ue5. 19-10900, 3060ti, 64gb ram. Something is seriously wrong. Yet sometimes it jumps straight to 110+ fps. I’m going to try the command suggestions here. I really hope they work.

What are you trying to load exactly? Your system seems like it should run without issue, which makes me suspect it’s the load of that particular project and not the engine itself. I have a machine with a 1070 and 32GB RAM that gets 30-40fps in 5.0.2 on well optimized levels with lots of foliage…a 3060ti should be outperforming that.

Sorry. Yeah I’m not sure. The problem went away when I updated my studio driver but now it’s back on thus forest level I have. I’ve tried everything I can find to optimize it but I’m getting 15-20fps.

Oh, forest level

IfHow does the engine run elsewhere? Is it only bad there? Maybe it’s an issue with your distance culling setup, foliage optimization, etc.

Well on a blank level just sitting there I get about 100fps. When moving around it briefly drops as low as 20 then shoots back up to around 60. I Also have this same issue in other projects in blank levels. This makes me think it’s something engine-wide, not anything I have in a level.
What do you think?

Sounds very odd to me. On a blank level I’m getting 60+FPS on a GTX 1070 and more on a 2070.

Are you by chance running with hardware raytracing enabled? This is the only time I’ve seen these kinds of FPS drops with UE5.

Good question. I think so. I think I created the project with raytracing enabled…I think. But I don’t need it with Lumen do I?

Can you tell me how to check if I have both raytracing and Lumen enabled? This would help a lot because I’ve always been unsure of this. Thanks for the help.

In your project settings, under rendering. There are checkboxes for enabling hardware raytracing. Just search ‘raytracing’ and you’ll find them.

If that’s enabled, swap to Lumen only with hardware RTX off and let me know if that resolves the issue. What you want is Lumen on, hardware RTX off (the software raytracing is slightly lower quality but much better performance) :slight_smile: good luck

Hi, all the retracing options are turned off. There’s no option to switch to ljmen though. I searched “tracing”. And when I search “rtx” nothing comes up either…

Check these

OK I set all those. I’m getting about 70fps on my pretty much blank level. I think my engine just has limits that nobody else has. I don’t know why this is happening to me but I’m ready to just permanently Uninstall. I’m fed up with this engine

I’m not sure 70 fps is that bad; it’s the spikes down to 20fps that you don’t want. If you have resolved those and are getting 60-70fps consistently, then the issues with the rest of your level dropping down to 20fps are most likely with the optimization in your level.

Also worth mentioning that a 3060ti is roughly GTX 1080 equivalent…so you are essentially running the engine with the minimum hardware requirements.

If you want to do some more testing you can enable Stat Unit via the command line in-engine which will tell you if your level if your level is bottlenecked by the GPU or something else. Most likely it’s a GPU bottleneck with a 3060ti. Beyond that, you can enable the optimization viewmodes for quad and shader overdraw to determine whether this is problematic in your scenes that have slower performance.

You could also try installing UE4.26/4.27 to see how it runs for you since Lumen is very GPU-intensive and the current release is not very performant on current gen hardware.

Everything I’ve read says that my gtx 3060ti I’d high end. How is it the same as a 10xx series? It’s in the 30 series. And I payed a lot more than any of the 10xx series. And everyone I talk to says 3060ti is high end. So I guess I’m saying this is the first I’m hearing of that.

Okay so in the command bar I type Stat unit?
OK I’ll do the shader overdraw too

Ue4 runs at 120fps in every project I’ve tried, but this happens when when Lumen is turned off and I use screen space.

In the GPU statistics, post processing (no PPV), Translucency and shadow depths are all extremely high. I haven’t checked since I removed all the Foliage, but even with no Foliage this map is running at 30fps. And all meshes have nanite enabled.

I’ve done pretty much everything you can do to optimize the shadows and none of it helped at all.

So I’m at a complete loss. But I’ll try those things you suggested.

Thanks for the help

The 3060ti is good. If it’s a ti that’s better as the base 3060 is quite a bit slower. It’s a newer card being a 30-series and the 30 series had a big jump in performance over older generations - which is why the 3060 is performing as well as the 1080ti, which was the 10-series’ highest performance card.

But as far as the 30 series goes, it’s definitely nVidia’s mid-tier card and not the high-end one. It still comes in as the 3rd lowest card among the 30series, only beating out the 3060 and 3050. Above it are the 3070, 3070ti, 3080, 3080ti, 3090, 3090ti, and 3080 12GB.

That’s not to say it’s a bad card, the 3060ti is very good and that’s why it’s performing as well as older generations’ highest tiered cards despite being mid-tiered in the 30 series lineup. It’s good because the 30 series had a huge leap in performance over past gen series-to-series changes in performance. However it definitely isn’t one of nVidia’s high-end series cards for the 30 series, it’s pretty squarely seated as the mid-tiered card for this lineup…so whoever told you otherwise was misinformed.

As for UE5 performance…if UE4 is running well for you then you should use that. UE5 is very demanding and is in its first release after early access. If you’re getting 70fps on blank scenes and 20fps on full scenes, then your scene’s optimization (foliage, overdraw, shader instruction count, etc.) is almost certainly the problem. 70FPS is perfectly playable.

Another thing you might want to give a go at is reducing the scalability setting. In the console, type ‘scalability 2.’ It doesn’t affect visual quality much at all but will improve your FPS. That being said don’t expect 120fps in UE5 on any current gen hardware unless your rig is absolutely pimped.

Lastly, I’ll mention that UE5 is demanding and, frankly, poorly optimized. The steam hardware survey showed the 1060 was the leading card for a very long time. Eventually, the 3060 or 3060ti will become the new defacto standard because of it’s price point and performance…so if UE5 can’t run on that, then this will be a major failure in the making for Epic/UE.

OK good info. I wasn’t comparing it to other cards, I just meant it’s pretty high end in what it can handle. But I see what you’re saying.

Yes, shadowdepth, post processing and Translucency are my biggest draws. I just don’t know what else to try to optimize gem.

Thanks a ton!