Vertex painting; Increase bump

Hey guys, I’m playing around with vertex painting using two materials I made in Substance Designer, one brick and one plaster to be added on top of the brick.
Now, from a distance I think it looks pretty decent, but close up, you can see the plaster has no real height at all, it looks like it’s completely flat on top of the brick.
Does anyone know if there is a way to simulate the height difference? I was thinking maybe using a realtime AO, and adding that into the normal, but I can’t see of any way to do it.

Are you already painting with 2 different normal maps?

Are you willing to use world displacement?

Here’s what I’ve made. I vertex painted a tire track in the sand. Both are displaced. The sand is +15 along the vertex normal and the tire track is -5 along the vertex normal.

74a65706bb7c04db14d6508f5fb759afa0f6376d.jpeg
88d42a1477fed80b0a19a1db6d99199ba0be15e0.jpeg

You could use a small displacement for the plaster and leave the brick like that!

Yeah that could work, but wouldn’t the polycount of the mesh have to be extremely high to support enough detail? I was thinking more along the lines of simulating displacement, rather than actual displacement, but I totally see what you mean. Looks great!

Check out the Parallax Occlusion Mapping node and the thread about it here: POM material - Rendering - Unreal Engine Forums

No extra geometry necessary.

I am curios too, would be perfect if there was a way to take a mask between bricks and concrete and generate a normal map from it to add depth

I’m pretty sure it’s possible!

Cool, thanks man! I’ll check it out ASAP!

any use?

https://udn.epicgames.com/Three/DevelopmentKitGemsDynamicNormalMap.html

Found this but it using texture object
As i understood we want to plug there result from multiplying vertex color with noise map, I am not sure if it possible
*NormalFromHeightmap

This function serves as a quick way to make a normal map out of an existing black and white heightmap, rather than having to load a separate texture into memory.
Procedurals Material Functions in Unreal Engine | Unreal Engine 5.1 Documentation*