Variables Set as Not Instance Editable Still Showing on Children Blueprints

I’ve set my parent class’ variables as either Instance Editable or not Instance Editable as desired, but the child class displays several variables that should be hidden. Any idea why that is and how to fix it?

1 Like

Hey @Moose13!

So “Instance Editable” means something different. When something is instance editable, it means each instance of a bp.

So say, you have one loot chest BP. You want to determine what’s in each chest, but you have 10 in your level. Each chest in the level is one instance. LootChest_A, LootChest_B, and so on. So you make the “Object Inside” variable on the LootChest instance editable, and then in the level you can modify that variable for each chest, all using a single BP instead of a unique BP for each chest.

What you’re seeing is typical Child behavior. It’s carrying over any set-in-editor values so they could be set differently in editor if needed for the child.

I hope that explains things a bit more clearly for you! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Okay, thanks for clearing that up for me, I had it in my head that “Instance Editable” referred to variables that would be available for modification in child blueprints. Is there another way to hide some of those variables while others remain available to be changed per child?

1 Like

Hey again @Moose13!

What I would suggest:
On the parent, highlight the variables you want to be unchanged- then give them all the category “Parent Only-DO NOT MODIFY”. They’ll appear in their own drop down menu in the details window, so you can just hide them that way, but they’ll still be available if you REALLY want to change them.

2 Likes

If you want to restrict the write access you can set variables to be Private, thus making them unmodifiable in child classes.

1 Like