Valve Index Controller Axis Mapping not working in Enhanced Input System

Hi,
Im trying to set up my VR project with the new enhanced input system, but Im having trouble binding axis mappings to my index controllers. Buttons on the controllers work fine, eg bool values, but when Im trying to read axis values from the thumbsticks or trigger, the axis mapping does not seem to read the value correctly.

Interestingly tho, for the thumbstick actions, I can read the values just fine when i change the mapping in the Input Mapping Context from “Valve Index (L) Thumbstick - X Axis” to “Mixed Reality (L) Thumbstick - X Axis”. This approach doesnt work for the Trigger axis tho, neither “Valve Index (L) Trigger Axis” nor “Mixed Reality (L) Trigger Axis” return other values than 0.0.

Either I got this mapping thing completely wrong, or there seems to be a problem with the communication between the index controllers and unreal engine, why else would their thumbstick values be registered as Mixed Reality Inputs, but not Valve Index Inputs? But then the Buttons work as “Valve Index (L) A Press” for example, im confused. Has somebody encountered this issue before or knows what is going on here?

hi @bubb1eDragon

Please show us the inputAction for each of the problematic axis, and also the IMC (Input mapping context) you have bound them with, paying attention to the problematic axis and so that we can see all the modifiers.

Hi High500,
thanks for your reply. I will try to make my setup as transparent as possible, sorry for the lack of images in my first post.

This is the Input Action for the Player Movement

This is the Input Action for the Left Trigger

This is the Input Action for the Right Trigger

This is the Input Mapping Context

This is the Player Mappable Input Config, linked in the OpenXR Input Settings

This is the Mapping Context in my Player Blueprint

This the test to read the incoming action values

This is the Log when moving the thumbstick or pressing the triggers on the index controllers (Events are not triggered when applying input on the controller):

Now with the Valve Index Inputs replaced by the Mixed Reality Inputs:

This is the Log when the Valve Index Inputs are replaced by the Mixed Reality Inputs (Events are getting triggered and Tick now reads the correct thumbstick values, but trigger pull values stay at 0.0):

are triggers on the index a range and not a boolean on off? like an xbox controller style trigger?

suggest running the game and in the console enter

showdebug enhancedinput

see if you get any values

the trigger works as a boolean input in unreal engine, but not as a range input, even tho i know that the controller triggers on the index are supporting analog input. I thought that the axis input mapping would be that analog value for the triggers, but apparently they are just empty, even when displayed in showdebug enhancedinput.

Maybe it is two different problems then, the thumbstick axis mappings registered as mixed reality controllers and the analog values of the triggers not being recognized maybe?

sadly my problem still persists, i will provide a screenshot with the showdebug enhancedinput command from the ingame console. as shown in the image, the button for the teleport action for example gets registered correctly and lights up green, but all axis mappings dont seem to carry any values at all, even though i am grabbing the controller with my fingers.

Did you ever find a fix? I’m having a similar issue where for some reason it can detect motion of the controllers but not what buttons I’m pressing.