UV per channel?

if you use custom uv’s you can apply panners per channel (trough the vertex color node), else there is no way around it and using one sample per direction.
cost-wise its not that bad, especially if you set the texture samples to “shared”.

When using packed textures, is there a way to reduce the instances of the texture I need to bring into a material to 1 if I am using distinct UV operations on the channels?

Eg. If I had a vertical and horizontal linear gradient in the Red and Green channels and wanted a corresponding panner on them…

Is there not some way to split the channels and allow UV operations on each without multiple copies of the texture?

Thank you.
I was really hoping I would be slapped with a “are you dense? It’s obvious, you just do this…”

Because uni-directional panning isn’t really what I’m concerned about.
I mean UV-specific nodes in general.

It feels like there should be something other than the forward reference to them.
A way to apply nodes to the UV “after” the texture node, as it were.

unless that texture is specifically made to act like UV coordinates, sadly adjusting UV’s after a texture node is not a thing.
UV coordinates are nothing more than X and Y gradients, using vertices to map locations on those X and Y coordinates. since a texture (unless specifically a uv-texture) has a variety of gradients and hues there is no way to adjust their coordinates afterward.

the custom UV input can do more than just panning though, you can forward most math through it, albeit on a vertex level, not pixel level. And since its on vertex level, you can use each vertex channel (RGBA) for their own purposes. though vertices that contain more than one color (RGB) can cause issues.