Using VR Motion Controller while playing "in-editor"

I am doing some hand interaction works in UE4.17 but I found it extremely hard to troubleshoot because (1) if I play in “VR Preview” mode, I cannot see what’s happening in editor viewport because VR Preview is running in another window. And (2) if I play “Selected Viewport” with “Viewport Gets HMDControl” ON, I can move my head but the motion controllers won’t show up…

I hope UE4 to see and inspect objects at runtime just like what we can do with Unity. For now, I think if there is a way to enable Motion Controllers while play in Editor Viewport can solve most of my problems. Does anyone know a way to do it?

Under Edit → Editor Preferences… → Play there is an option called “Should minimize Editor on VRPIE”.

If you untick that, the editor will remain visible during the VR Preview and you will be able to debug your blueprints. To avoid having to wear the HMD while doing so and enable the motion controller tracking, you can use the Oculus Debug Tool to bypass the proximity sensor (or place a finger/piece of tape on it).

For me it hasn’t fixed the issue, I unchecked Should minimize Editor on VRPIE but I still can’t see my motion controllers moving around in the editor no matter if I launch the regular Play mode or the VR preview even if I wear my headset. Do you have any idea how I could see my controllers moving in real time in the editor view on my pc instead of having to go on VR preview?

Thank you

I’m using the HTC Vive with UE4 4.20

With the answer above , i notice under Edit → Editor Preferences… → Play there is an option called "Viewport Gets HMDControl“. After check it, i can see my motion controller in the VR preview editor mode.

Thank you so much this is exactly it!

I know this is old but wanted to ask if anyone has been able to get motion controller inputs working “in-editor”. I can get the motion controllers to track just fine, but I have an animation that triggers when I press the trigger on my controller that’s not working in the viewport, but does work if I do VR Preview. Any ideas on how to get inputs from the controller to work in the viewport? (Side note: the mouse inputs work just fine shrug)