Using same animations on multiple size skeletons?

All the humanoid characters in my project use the same skeleton but they are all different sizes. Is there a way to use one set of animations for all the different sizes or do the animations have to be retargeted to each size? Just trying to cut down on project size if possible. Thanks for any help!

With UE5, there is a new option called compatible skeletons, which allows animation assets to be used on all specified skeletons without any retargeting. This will only use the joint names to apply the transforms.

I’m not sure it will be perfect, but it is worth a try. You can try it by opening the skeleton for which you have the animation assets, then go to Window->Asset Details, and under compatible skeletons add the other skeletons. After that you should be able to play any animation, or use animation blueprints and montages on all the skeletons that you added

I believe if on the other skeletons you have specified the retargeting method for each joint except for root and pelvis to be Skeleton, the animations should look as you think they should

As a tip, you can select all the high level bones that you want to apply this, right click and

5 Likes

Perfect! Thanks, man.