Using Fortnite Characters/Skins as NPCs in maps

This is difficult for me to wrap my head around. I’m developing a RPG-lite UEFN experience and assumed I would be able to seamlessly alter devices such as the Character Device and Guard Device to have different Fortnite skins, as opposed to importing my own meshes and textures that could potentially violate any terms.

It quickly became apparent after reaching the point of working on NPCs and their dialogue, I couldn’t retexture the Character Device’s “Character”, and I was stuck with the creative mannequin.

The two solutions I found online were:

• Visit Fortnite.GG ( All Fortnite Skins / Outfits - Fortnite.GG ) and grab the ID of your desired outfit, pasting the path to the Fortnite file containing that outfit into the character on UEFN.
  • Download a plug-in that grabs Fortnite Assets and exports them into blender, which can then be exported as fbx files and finally imported into UEFN.

These solutions all lead to one thing, being an error when validating. Below I’ve attached a small screenshot (sorry if the quality is bad, it looks bad in this preview but probably gets the message across). It seems to recognize the assets as their property and doesn’t allow you to use them, which is weird because I can validate a map to test that has Sonic the Hedgehog but not the Harmonizer skin from Fortnite.

This seems to be a known issue because I saw a couple older posts about this. I wish to know if this is an issue I can solve myself, an issue that Epic may address in a future update, or whether I should scrap my idea of having interactive NPCs inside my game–or scrap the concept of my island altogether.

Any input would be appreciated. Thanks.

1 Like

I’ve looked into this issue myself and haven’t found a fix.

Don’t give up on your idea of NPC’s just quite yet though, I’ve heard talk of some “V2 Devices” (THREAD: Community Concerns about V2 Devices) that are going to be implemented very soon, my guess is version 25.00 (Chapter 4 Season 3) which should be released in early June. As implied by their name, I’m guessing that these “V2 Devices” will be a complete rework of the devices currently available in UEFN. I can only hope that they will include new NPC-type devices that might allow creators to use any character they want without issues.

1 Like

Seems like we are still waiting for this.

I was hoping to place “Character_SkippingClouds” into my map and have seen that others have done it but I assume they’ve used blender.