Using Existing Intellectual Property For Fortnite Games

I understand that UEFN games aren’t supposed to contain any trademarked images (Coca Cola logos for example). Yesterday I saw three games based on existing intellectual property – Saw (Lionsgate), Home Alone (20th Century Fox), and Monsters Inc. (Disney/Pixar). None of these games had any copyright info that I could see. None of them were asserting that they were in some way a parody. I would assume if these were official licensed releases, they would say so.

What do you guys (especially anyone at Epic Games) think of people publishing games like this, especially given the creator economy 2.0 ?

hi @JoeGideon79
Many of your questions are addressed in the official Document
[ARTICLE] Understanding Copyright and Trademark in UEFN Game Development - Community / Community & Industry Discussion - Epic Developer Community Forums

1 Like

In the past couple days I’ve noticed multiple Prop Hunt maps changing their entire branding because of what seems to be a crackdown on copyright infringement. My creative map got a “moderation” flag in UEFN and it won’t even tell me which assets go against terms.

1 Like

hi @The-Mexorcist ,
You will need to go into the UnrealFortnite log on you PC.

1. Open the log in notepad by Right Click open With → Notepad
  2. in Notepad type Control and F to open find window and type as one “disallowed”
  3. Look before that line for the Asset name and put it in the Outliner.

See Asset Validation Issues - Issues

@Jimbohalo10 I figured out what was causing the issue with my file and it wasn’t even an asset issue.

Apparently some piece of code within one of my Verse files was causing an issue — it’s upsetting UEFN tells me there’s “offensive content” on my island when in fact it was just a piece of code that wasn’t working (and Verse didn’t show any errors either).

I wasted days trying to fix a problem that wasn’t really an issue at all.

3 Likes